• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake - what am I missing?

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's essentially no parking brake on my Ranger.

The cable is broken below the pedal pickup and the floor and there's just a rusted up stub after it goes through the floor. Nothing is on it from there back.

I can get the three cable assemblies from Bronco Graveyard.

I have to assume there's something that connects the front cable to the rear cables. I assume I can get that from the junkyard. Is there anything else I need to pick up/find/buy? I don't know what I'm missing and this is my first Ford so I don't know what's typical.

It's an '87 extended cab 4x4 with 125" WB.

I haven't pulled the drums off yet. Don't know what the condition of the brake assembly is or the backing plates, but I can probably figure that part out if anything's missing. More looking for how the front and back cables connect together, and if there's anything else (springs, retainer, brackets, ???) that might be missing.

Pedal assembly seems to be all there.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The list sounds pretty complete. An equalizer/adjuster might come with cables, might need to find one at the yard.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys.

Looks like the equalizer is what I need unless there are missing parts inside the drum.

Would never have known the right term to search on...

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had a problem getting the cables from Bronco Graveyard.

Ended up getting them through Rockauto and they were heavily discounted - I paid 76 cents for one and got all three for less than $20.

But they didn't come with the equalizer.

There's an '89, a '91 and a '92 at the local pull-a-part. hopefully one will have the equalizer and will fit my '87. Going to hit the yard first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully get the cables installed tomorrow.

When I pulled the rear drums to check the size (9"), I found the PO had replaced all the brake hardware, but hadn't checked the axle seals. Both sides are full of oil and are effectively not doing anything. So I have to pull the axles and clean up those assemblies and then replace the seals, but it all should work way better when I'm done.

Anyone know what weight of gear oil the 7.5 rear with posi* takes off hand?

* At least that's what the axle code says it is - won't know until I open it up.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the link.

I have it just about back together in back. Diff cover was pretty rusty so I cleaned it up and hit it with a coat of paint. Soon as it dries I can button it up, fill it with fluid, and then get the front cable hooked up to the rear.

Went to the junkyard and got the equalizer assembly. Also had to get some of the parking brake bits from inside the drum. Pays to be nice to the checkout girls - I got all the parking brake bits for free.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, pays for itself being nice :)

I am sure you know, but I always forget until I am ready to put it in.........warm up the oil first, much quicker fill.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Once you get it off the ground put it in neutral then spin one of the tires the other tire should spin the same way if it is LS with a open differential the other tire will spin reverse of the tire your turning. While you have the axles out you probably should change the pinion shaft seal also just for giggles. Odds are that seal will drip once you fill it with gearoil.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have it back together again.

It does have positraction or whatever Ford calls it.

Pinion seal was already seaping a bit, but it's such a PITA to change, I'm going to live with it for awhile.

I have an 8.8 I'd like to put in, but it has 4.11 gears and I'd have to change the front diff to match. If I end up keeping the 7.5, I'll do a complete rebuild on it eventually - change out all the bearings and seals and replace the clutches in the limited slip carrier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals