• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Parking Brake Cables?

RedRangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a '02 Ranger FX4 4.0L extended cab. I need to replace the two rear parking brake cables, but I am at a bit of a loss on which ones my truck should use and haven't really found a clear answer while searching.

When you look at online auto parts stores, they offer the following two options for each side (left and right):
  • 9" Rear Brakes & 10" Brakes; Exc. HD Suspension
  • 10" Brakes; HD Suspension
My truck has the 10" rear brakes. It appears the cab and bed size only matters when you are replacing the intermediate cable between the rear and front of the truck.

I would assume if any of the Rangers had an "HD suspension" that it would be the FX4, as the '02 FX4 is the same as the '03+ FX4 LVII models in terms of suspension and that is the highest level "off road" suspension that was offered from the factory to the best of my knowledge...

Has anyone out there replaced the rear cables in their FX4? If anyone has part numbers of the cables they used I would be eternally grateful!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'd agree with you, but here are some things you can do to verify. Run a check on brake shoes, yours might be a slightly wider 10" shoe making it the HD. Compare both cables side by side for length and type of ends, connections, etc. to your cables. This should tell you which is which. Rockauto.com and autozone.com both have pretty accurate pics...

SVT

RedRangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The problem is the old cables were definitely aftermarket, and I have my doubts that they were correct to begin with. I used to have to really press hard on the pedal to apply the parking brake, and even then they didn't hold the truck on hills as well as I think a parking brake should...

I bought the left and right "HD suspension" cables from Advance Auto. If you buy online for in-store pickup and use the "TRT30" discount code it knocks 30% off of your order and the two cables only came to $30 or so. Figured it was worth the gamble.

The "HD" left cable definitely seems too long. There is excess cable between the drum and bracket the cable passes through to connect with the equalizer. The "HD" left-rear cable is 2.75" longer than the regular left-rear cable, which is a pretty significant difference. The left rear wheel would not apply braking force at all with this cable installed. I bit the bullet and bought (with the discount) a regular left-rear cable and it is a better fit in terms of length. It applies the brake on that wheel now. Only strange thing with this cable is that it does not have an actual clip to secure it to the bracket in front of the wheel like the "HD" cable did, but there is still a flange which prevents it from pulling through the hole in the bracket and the tension from the cable seems to hold it in place fine.

The right-rear "HD" cable is only 0.5" longer overall than the regular non-HD version. I still have the HD one installed, though I have a feeling it should use the regular non-HD cable as well. I have a functional parking brake, but the pedal can be pushed to the floor. With a 0.5" shorter cable on the right-rear, it may be just enough to decrease the pedal travel for the parking brake and give slightly more clamping force on the rear brakes.

To summarize; I see absolutely no reason for the "HD suspension" parking brake cables on a Ranger with stock suspension, regardless of whether it is an FX4 or not. I should have mentioned, my rear brake drums, shoes, and hardware are all in good shape, as well as the self-adjusters (adjuster cog is not seized). Trial and error isn't the greatest way to have to buy/install parts, but at least the cables weren't terribly expensive. I'm going to at least try to return the HD cables that I bought and see if they take them back opened.

For reference, the part #'s for the regular cables are:
  • DORMAN Part # C94741 for the Right Rear
  • DORMAN Part # C132246 for the Left Rear
Hopefully this helps someone out, as there were a lot of parking brake questions posted in the various forums, but not many definitive answers from what I found.

thoorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering the exact same thing. I have the same 2002 FX4 Ranger Extended cab. I replaced the parking cables with the same Dorman ones you listed. I also replaced all of the brake hardware except the wheel cylinder. Now the left side drags a little, even with the adjuster spun all the way in. The right side is much worse. The shoe is actual pulled away from the top pin by about a half inch. It seems like cables are too short, but from what you described, they should be right. I am at a loss now for what the problem might be. I may extend the groove on the flat bar that is between the shoes. I think it is called the parking brake strut.

If anyone has had something similar, please let me know what you did to resolve it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals