• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel 2019 Ford Ranger caught testing in Michigan

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
When the 2019 Ford Ranger's U.S.-spec model was finally revealed, only one engine was announced to go with it, a gasoline turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder derived from the same engine in the Mustang EcoBoost and Focus RS. We certainly have can't complain about the engine, especially having not experienced it in the new truck yet, but Ranger fans might've been surprised to see that no diesel engines were announced. Imagine our interest, then, when we saw these spy photos of a diesel-powered Ranger testing in Michigan.

See more HERE

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/20/2019-ford-ranger-wildtrak-diesel-spy-shots/

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When the 2019 Ford Ranger's U.S.-spec model was finally revealed, only one engine was announced to go with it, a gasoline turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder derived from the same engine in the Mustang EcoBoost and Focus RS. We certainly have can't complain about the engine, especially having not experienced it in the new truck yet, but Ranger fans might've been surprised to see that no diesel engines were announced. Imagine our interest, then, when we saw these spy photos of a diesel-powered Ranger testing in Michigan.

See more HERE

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/20/2019-ford-ranger-wildtrak-diesel-spy-shots/
The end of the linked item says tell us what you think so here goes.

I am personally tired of the speculation and tired of waiting. All the hype and marketing has done nothing but irritate me. I'm sure others have had the same reaction. I need Ford to say there will be a diesel in 20XX or there are no plans for a diesel. Armed with that information I can make a rational decision to either continue to wait or buy another brand.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I am personally tired of the speculation and tired of waiting. All the hype and marketing has done nothing but irritate me. I'm sure others have had the same reaction. I need Ford to say there will be a diesel in 20XX or there are no plans for a diesel. Armed with that information I can make a rational decision to either continue to wait or buy another brand.
If it is even coming here (smoking at startup isn't a good sign) they are probably going to wait until they get it ironed out before they announce anything. It might not be feasible to bring to market in the US.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.

If we get it, it will be a "complicated engine" with all kinds of "electronics and newfangled gadgets" and no manual transmission. So why wait ?

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If we get it, it will be a "complicated engine" with all kinds of "electronics and newfangled gadgets" and no manual transmission. So why wait ?
Thanks. I appreciate your input. You apparently don't like my viewpoint and that's fine with me, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

Please don't follow me around the forum and heckle me like I am some sort of uninformed nit wit. I have a masters degree in engineering and 35 years experience designing machines - nuclear power plant parts, rocket nose cones (rocket science), aircraft , etc.

Simple beats complex every time in reliability, longevity, cost to maintain and cost to repair - always. My point in the other thread is that simple vehicles are no longer available - you can't buy one - everything is complex now and it doesn't necessarily need to be. That doesn't mean I have to like it or want it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds to me like a good opportunity to learn more and become better educated on internal combustion engines and how engineers are finding ways to make them more efficient. I can't wait to tear into one and see how it works.

The willfully ignorant will never cease to amaze me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like a good opportunity to learn more and become better educated on internal combustion engines and how engineers are finding ways to make them more efficient. I can't wait to tear into one and see how it works.

The willfully ignorant will never cease to amaze me.
I am really ignorant when it comes to dd's. I just as soon not have to figure out how they work. Every dime and minute into upkeep is another minute/dime away from my Ranger which is fun to work on and I don't have to depend on to get to work.

When I have the interior ripped apart in my Ranger trying to figure out how to retrofit OEM cruise control it is no biggie for it to sit a few weeks while I pick at it in my free time.

When the intake gaskets go out of my F-150 in December and it won't idle and it is flipping cold, it won't fit in my garage, we are full at work and I have to carpool with the wife (and get to work half an hour early and staying half an hour late) I don't want to know how it works, I just want it to work.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Thanks. I appreciate your input. You apparently don't like my viewpoint and that's fine with me, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

Please don't follow me around the forum and heckle me like I am some sort of uninformed nit wit. I have a masters degree in engineering and 35 years experience designing machines - nuclear power plant parts, rocket nose cones (rocket science), aircraft , etc.

Simple beats complex every time in reliability, longevity, cost to maintain and cost to repair - always. My point in the other thread is that simple vehicles are no longer available - you can't buy one - everything is complex now and it doesn't necessarily need to be. That doesn't mean I have to like it or want it.
I am sorry. I didn't mean to seem like I am heckling you. You do seem uninformed about the new Ranger, however.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am sorry. I didn't mean to seem like I am heckling you. You do seem uninformed about the new Ranger, however.
Thanks. You are correct about me knowing little about the new ranger other than its not the truck I want so far and I've waited a long long time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Thanks. You are correct about me knowing little about the new ranger other than its not the truck I want so far and I've waited a long long time.
Maybe when the diesel version comes out and you learn more about it and test drive it you will like it and buy one.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe when the diesel version comes out and you learn more about it and test drive it you will like it and buy one.
I think you kind of missed my point. I am sick of waiting for it. I have a camper to pull and my 96 won't do it. The 4 cylinder they are starting with has the performance figures but I don't think it a great choice for a tow vehicle that will be pushed all day long. The people I know with 6 cylinder eco boosts in their f150s aren't particularly happy with them for towing a camper all day in the mountains. They also come with a hefty price tag.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you kind of missed my point. I am sick of waiting for it. I have a camper to pull and my 96 won't do it. The 4 cylinder they are starting with has the performance figures but I don't think it a great choice for a tow vehicle that will be pushed all day long. The people I know with 6 cylinder eco boosts in their f150s aren't particularly happy with them for towing a camper all day in the mountains. They also come with a hefty price tag.
How big is camper?

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How big is camper?
It's an Escape 5.0 fiberglass camper. Loaded weight is about 4000 lbs. Pin load is about 350 -400 lbs. I don't own it yet but I've been shopping and finally located a nice used one. They are made in Canada and almost never for sale used in the southeast. The 96 ranger will do it in theory but everyone who I've talked with who has done it said its a miserable tow vehicle for that camper. It's way too slow going up grades. People at the same fiberglass camper forum have said that the diesel Colorado is a perfect tow vehicle for this camper. I'd much rather have a ford though.

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
While none of us has obviously had the opportunity to drive the new Ranger with any engine yet I am glad to see someone else shares my concerns about the towing ability of a 4 cyl turbo engine. I have been waiting since about 2011 for Ford to offer a capable mid-size truck to replace my V8 Sport Trac. I hope I am wrong but so far I don't see the 2019 Ranger as being that truck. I have never owned anything but Fords my entire life (I currently have six) but there is a first time for everything...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
While none of us has obviously had the opportunity to drive the new Ranger with any engine yet I am glad to see someone else shares my concerns about the towing ability of a 4 cyl turbo engine. I have been waiting since about 2011 for Ford to offer a capable mid-size truck to replace my V8 Sport Trac. I hope I am wrong but so far I don't see the 2019 Ranger as being that truck. I have never owned anything but Fords my entire life (I currently have six) but there is a first time for everything...
Ehh, the new Ranger will probably be able to tow 10k+ seems the way they keep pushing 1/2 ton trucks now so it should be fine...course these new engines haven't been around in the real world long enough for anyone to really find out for sure how long they're going to hold up to being over-worked.

If they do come out with a diesel its going to be overly complex and complicated full of emissions shit and choked down as a result making it a gutless POS...add to that the ridiculous price tag...I see a $40k+ price tag already just the mention of a diesel ranger. Sure it'll be better than the diesel that was in the 1st gen rangers but at a cost and not reliable at all...I can only imagine the issues with all these new diesels that have emissions crap on them and are all electronically controlled. And like any other diesel truck, they're meant to be driven for long distances not to be driven around town for short distances and repeatedly started and stopped like a short trip to the store and back home type stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals