• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS-3 20th Anniversary Ford Ranger

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
If Ford had any sense at all they'd donate a truck to you for the cross country TRS trip. Heaven only knows that this forum has kept the RBV's running over the years....and probably the reason the Ranger is even coming back.

Keep us posted Jim. Maybe the TRS members need to call up Ford and bug them about it LOL.
Thanks for the kind words. TRS has been here for Ranger owners for quite a while now. I wish they saw us like you do.

What's sad is to see the Ranger's that were debuted knowing that they'll probably get crushed and never make it in to private hands.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks for the kind words. TRS has been here for Ranger owners for quite a while now. I wish they saw us like you do.

What's sad is to see the Ranger's that were debuted knowing that they'll probably get crushed and never make it in to private hands.

This is pure assumption here, but the dierection ford has gone in the last few years, seems they dont care about anyone who doesnt own an Fseries or a "global" platform. Any site that caters to econolines, vics, or pre 19 rangera is pry off their radar. Unfourtantly.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I would consider a SAS on a 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 with coils like 02FX4Red or with front leafs like Ford78.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody's made a complete SAS swap kit for the Ford Ranger.

Ford78 used SAS parts for a Chevy from Sky Offroad. I've seen people use some James Duff pieces on the older Ranger's, but not the ones from 1998, and they used the EB Dana 44, not a full size Dana 44.

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Dang that would be awesome, but I doubt they really let the public in there :(. I'd love to see a Ranger and or Bronco be built.
Actually its easier than you think. We currently build the Focus here and I have seen a couple tours done with some Focus ST clubs and seen one guy follow his own ST through parts of the plant as it was being built.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is pure assumption here, but the dierection ford has gone in the last few years, seems they dont care about anyone who doesnt own an Fseries or a "global" platform. Any site that caters to econolines, vics, or pre 19 rangera is pry off their radar. Unfourtantly.
http://www.therangerstation.com/the-2019-ford-ranger-debut-our-take/

We are on some kind of radar screen. Ford was crazy gracious with that trip. Check out the link in my sig for more pics, it was awesome.

The new Ranger is a global platform too

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Actually its easier than you think. We currently build the Focus here and I have seen a couple tours done with some Focus ST clubs and seen one guy follow his own ST through parts of the plant as it was being built.
That would be awesome, however as usual I live on the wrong side of the country for the cool stuff HAHA!!!.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

The Ranger Station has provided excellent advice to many of my questions over the past few years since getting back into an RBV. I only wish I knew now what I didn't know in 2000-2001 prior to selling my 1984 Ford Ranger for dirt cheap that was in excellent condition just due to the TFI module problem that nobody seemed to know about around here :(. The tech & other articles section is excellent and if used properly can answer many common problems with RBV's. This forum is better than a shop/chilton/haynes manual combined. There are actual Ford techs on this forum that can answer practically anything, what better site could you want to promote the new Ranger & Bronco when they are released....rather Ford don't want that obviously otherwise they'd have a new Ranger in the hands of the TRS group.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The trouble is its no longer an affordable truck for what people wanted. People wanted a simple compact truck to use around the farm, ranch, etc. Ford once again screwed up something simple by doing what they wanted and once again creating a vehicle that will fail due to its size and the price that they're going to want you may as well buy an F150 or F250. This is exactly why they stopped making the Ranger in the US to being with because it was outselling their oversized, overpriced F150. This time people are just going to look at the Ranger and the ridiculous price and buy the F150 with a slightly larger squirrel under the hood.

black06xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would build a 2011 ranger with old school twist on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trouble is its no longer an affordable truck for what people wanted. People wanted a simple compact truck to use around the farm, ranch, etc. Ford once again screwed up something simple by doing what they wanted and once again creating a vehicle that will fail due to its size and the price that they're going to want you may as well buy an F150 or F250. This is exactly why they stopped making the Ranger in the US to being with because it was outselling their oversized, overpriced F150. This time people are just going to look at the Ranger and the ridiculous price and buy the F150 with a slightly larger squirrel under the hood.
Have you looked at comparable midsize trucks at all?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Have you looked at comparable midsize trucks at all?
Yes, the prices are ridiculous. I'll keep my old stuff that I can work on without needing a computer to tell me what's wrong with it.

I'll wait 10-15 years until the prices are back down to earth, then I may look at them, but $30-40k+ for 1/2 a truck is ridiculous.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes, the prices are ridiculous. I'll keep my old stuff that I can work on without needing a computer to tell me what's wrong with it.

I'll wait 10-15 years until the prices are back down to earth, then I may look at them, but $30-40k+ for 1/2 a truck is ridiculous.
I have tried to like new vehicles, i really have. I have tried to like them as i take one for a test drive, thinking about how nice it would be not having to stand out in -10* temps to tune a carb, or spend countless hours trying to figure out why my damn taillights arnt working....again...

But, then i snap back to reality, and realize that, atleast for my tastes, the new trucks/cars offer no real plusses besides a warranty and not having 20 years of someone elses misguided mechanic work done to them.

When i went out looking for a tow rig for my camper, and i ended up with my 97, i looked at many trucks. Ford, chevy, dodg...err..."ram" :rolleyes:, but while they did drive nice, rode nice, and looked cool (kinda) i couldnt get over how uncomfortable they are, how much it would cost to buy tires for a 20" rim, how much i hated not having a radio without buttons and dial climate controls.

I know one day, perhaps next truck i buy, ill be forced to modernize, but for now, rolling around in trucks with chassises that more less date back to 1965, is just fine with me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When i went out looking for a tow rig for my camper, and i ended up with my 97, i looked at many trucks. Ford, chevy, dodg...err..."ram" :rolleyes:, but while they did drive nice, rode nice, and looked cool (kinda) i couldnt get over how uncomfortable they are, how much it would cost to buy tires for a 20" rim, how much i hated not having a radio without buttons and dial climate controls.
Pretty much everyone has 17's (which don't cost much more than a 16's) for an option. You need to quit looking at fancy trucks, XL or base XLT is what you seek... and what I seek. I don't like an ipad on the dash to run both the radio and HVAC stuff. I don't want big wheels. If you option your truck right you don't have to get either.

But this thread is for Jim's TRS-3, not the 2019 Ranger or debating the merits of new vs old trucks.

On that note, has anyone ever dabled with sway bar disconnects on the 98+ trucks? That might free up some wheel travel but I have no idea if such a thing is possible.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals