• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fix valve cover leak at bolts?

VcentG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello. 97 with a decent valve cover leak on drivers side of the drivers side head. I just did an oil change a few weeks ago to mobile 1 full synthetic. Can't remember if I had synthetic in before but I thought I did. Anyway was good then started leaking and now it's a decent leak. If it we're a daily driver it'd be no problem but since I use it for piloting the amount of leak is spread over hundreds of miles adding up a lot quicker per day.

Anyway I don't know why it took time to leak instead of instantly but it appears to be leaking from the valve cover bolt area. I can feel the gasket bulging out at those points. My question is is there a cheesy way I can fix this without pulling the intake? My EGR and throttle developed some bolt issues over time so I'd rather not touch those at all or they may not go back on and I have a days downtime to fix this so I can't risk that.

I've tried loosening the bolts and pushing the gasket in. Which seemed to work for part of one but the rest I can't get an angle or enough pressure to push it in. Any other ideas?

It's the stupid (probably felpro) one piece gasket. Which doesn't even fit perfectly to begin with but I've replaced this gasket millions of times and no problems til now. And unless I wanna risk a new intake or codes when my EGR won't seal back on I can't take the intake off.

Last edited:

VcentG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nevermind. Just took it all apart and replaced the gasket. It seemed to come out of the groove and it only took a couple hours to fix. Shorter than I thought. Also replaced the pcv valve just in case cause there was a decent chunk of oil in the intake but didn't reach the air filter so maybe it was normal. Either way only a 24 dollar and 2 hrs fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals