• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What tire size , it's killin me

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Well here it is guys and gals , I've read a thousand post but need your recommendations . I have a 3"BL on my 03 Mazda b4000 , a friend let me borrow his 265/75/16 bf mud terrains , love them but alittle small. A friend gave me a set of 15x7 aluminums . Now I'd like 33"s. 32x11.50 would fit the rim but not tall enough. I drive on the sand a lot but also hit the mountains where my Bf A/T would turn into worthless doughnuts. So mud terrains seem like the way to go. This is my DD so I'm trying to figure what's best on gas. Now 33x10.5 ?? Seen pics and there're ok . They should tuck when they have to and better on a 7" rim . I love the way 33x12.5 look but will have to run a low psi(not good for gas mileage).i have four wonderfully kids and I'm the only worker in the family m so I can't afforrd to by bigger rims and my tires will probably not be new . My truck has 4.10 gearing also .What would you all do?? Mahalo , Paka
Ps I know the 10.5 are thin for sand but can drop psi down to 15lbs

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would say good luck finding a 33x10.5, regardless of condition. I would go ahead and get the 12.5 but as you said it'd require wider rims, I think most call for an 8.5 to 9 inch wide rim as a minimum. Or I would drop back to either the 32x11.5 or 31x10.5 and drop the truck down enough to make it look good. Reason I say this is that you are more likely to find a used tire in decent condition in those sizes, and if you have to buy new they are cheaper and more readily available. I think (not positive) that you could keep your BL on and decrank the t-bars a little to make it sit about right. This way you'll still have the BL on in case you run across a set of 33" wheels and tires you like for a good deal, and you'd regain some of the softer ride you lost when cranking the bars.

I know there are lots of people running a 33x10.5 on these trucks, but upon comparing tires recently for my own truck I realized just how few different options exist in that size. Only a couple of the were available at the local tire dealers, if I Wanted anything else I'd have to order online and have shipped to my house, then have a tire store do the install for me. That's not something I really wanted to deal with and I also wanted road hazard warranty on the tires (I've popped at least 5 in the last year and a half). It, along with not wanting a BL, has caused me to drop back to the 32x11.5 for my 99. I've got it cranked up with enough clearance for 33s now (I think I could probably clear a 35 if I didn't have to go over a speed bump) and if I need to I'll just drop it back down a little before getting it aligned.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
You can run 12.5s on a 7" rim but the center lugs will wear faster. Its not that terrible and let's you drop a lot lower psi when wheeling. I run 15x7 expo rims and 33x12.50 TSLs on my wifes jeep @4psi in the rocks. I have lost one bead ever and that was just bad luck trying to climb a rock on the inside of the rim popped the bead.

zrehm016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
33 10.50 are what i run the only maker is bfg bought em love em. the only problem kinda expensive, but cheaper than buying wheels and tires. tire rack should sell them. my work uses a tire wearhouse called k&m that is where i got mine

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard in general you don't want to run tires over 4" wider than the wheel size. So the 15x7 would sort of limit your abilities there.

I recognize you mentioned you borrowed the 265s from a friend, but did that mean you have 16" wheels stock on your rig? If you do, why not look into 285/75/16s...they're like a 32.8" tire I believe. I would think the stock wheels would likely be wide enough to run that.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I'm running 33x12.50's on stock 15x7's on my 97. Running them at 30 psi, they seem to wear just fine. A 15x8 would be better for sure, but 15x7 will work

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it comming guys , the 16"s with 265 will be my back up set . Cosco selling the 33x10.5 for 205 each , not bad.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Well if u want height over width and bias ply is OK with you...tsl makes a 34x9.5r15 :D:D

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
9.5 is pretty thin good idea but 10.5 is thinnest I'd like

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
take a look Interco SSR there 32x11.5x15 actualy measure 32.5... and most 33's measure around that usualy 32.5-33 // so your basically getting a 33x11.5x15 and at a lower cost :p

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Good info , mahalo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals