• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine "sputter" at low RPMs ??

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will try to make it short and simple..

Okay basically I got new tires on my 2001 Ford Ranger this weekend and the guy at the shop was telling me I appeared to have a misfire...(I'm HOPING/thinking a faulty spark plug) when the engine is at idle id is smooth as can be but giving it light gas it seems to sort of sputter a bit before "catching up" so to speak.. I was thinking possibly a failed spark plug (however it runs smooth at idle) or possibly a weak spark or bad gapped plug.. I forget the methods of testing a plug other than something about taking the plug out with the wire on it and setting it next to the ex manifold but I was just curious if there could be (from my explanation) an alternative source causing it to "sputter" at lower idles..

Any advice is much appreciated !! :dunno:

Thanks in advance..

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
you might need to change the fuel filter. check out the plugs, plug wires. and the such. those 3 are what i would start with. then possibly clean the maf while ur in there. might be the TPS too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals