• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake hoses

hydrosmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the middle of a front brake job on a 1992 STX SC 4WD and I can't get the brake hoses loose from the fitting on the spring perch. I have tried a #10, #12, 3/8 and 7/16 flare wrenches. The #12 kinda gripped but felt like it started to strip the flats of the nut.

Could it really be a #11? Does such a flare nut wrench size exist?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC it is 7/16. 11MM wrenches do exist, but are rare because 7/16 is so close. Clean them up a bit and work the 7/16 on.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I assume you are doing the front discs...when I did mine (88) I just planned on removing everything and replacing them because they were so rusty. There is like a horeshoe clip that holds it in place on the perch but mine were so bad I couldn't even see how they held on...

Once everything is off it pays to clean it all up and put some rust paint on to help keep them clear of rust...mine were in pretty good shape still when I scraped it...so a little does plenty...

EDIT: I have both 11 mm and 7/16"...when the wrench spins it's best to replace the flex lines...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Do you actually need to disconnect the calipers?

Because this usually isn't necessary to disconnect the metal line from the rubber line
unless you are replacing the rubber hoses...

AD

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh Heh German cars back to pre-history have used the same wrenches as USA. 11mm is close enough to a 7/16s not to matter Same thing with 14mm and 9/16 These are a world standard of some sort . Also spark plug threads are like that too. I have tried a few flare wrenches and haven't found one yet the didn't spread and slip. Here is my rule of thumb after dealing with brakes for 50 yrs. If you cant shift a brake connection with a half way decent open end , its a goner. Next too I dont try to save the line, just the stuff attached to it. I snip the rusty line off with dikes and use a 6 point socket on the fitting. Every hard line and all the hoses have been replaced. By me. If you have a double flare tool, a tubing cutter and a small file. 40 bucks of tools. Line and fittings are cheap and available. :D

hydrosmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC it is 7/16. 11MM wrenches do exist, but are rare because 7/16 is so close. Clean them up a bit and work the 7/16 on.
I was able to get the 7/16 wrench on there as you said. It came loose just as I was about let up for fear of stripping it.

Thank you

hydrosmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to get the 7/16 wrench on there as you said. It came loose just as I was about let up for fear of stripping it.

Thank you all. Yes I was replacing the front hoses due to age, they were looking like they are original to the vehicle and my mushy brake pedal is no more!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
11mm is close enough to a 7/16s not to matter Same thing with 14mm and 9/16 These are a world standard of some sort . Also spark plug threads are like that too. I have tried a few flare wrenches and haven't found one yet the didn't spread and slip.:D
1) 9/16 fits on a 14. 14 doesn't fit a 9/16. I have stripped a few stubborn bolts trying it that way.

2) My Snap-On line wrenches don't don't spread at all. You are just buying cheap ones.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh heh, my metric bugs needed plenty of wrenching. By the time it was used to back up a 9/16, it fit. I started with 29.95 tool box special from Craftsman about 1968. I'm just a shade tree hack trying to get by. I can't justify buying super duper tools, I use very little. My point was that if the fitting on hard line is frozen in rust like they get after a few decades in the rust belt. Yes with a better wrench ,I could get the nut shifted, Probably be too much for the rusty line and it splits, though. You don't save a lot time if you try to a finesse a tender line. Even if it lasts a bit longer, it's a point of failure. Replace the hard line back to a good point that will take a double flare. Better is a home run. I'm comfortable enough with the process, so I take my time and try to do a good job. :D

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
From the time when I was 18 and a CHEAP ratchet broke causing me to slip and fall and break a finger bone lengthwise (Yes, really! That was the day I discovered that when an ER doctor says "Awwwww... Neat!!!" you are officially having a BAD DAY....

I decided that my tender body parts are too valuable to waste my money on cheap tools...
I CORRECTLY determined that spending money on better tools rather than on Orthopedic surgeons would actually save me money!!!

Not to mention reducing pain and reduce the tendency to leave blood trails

Though I will say if you go into an Emergency room leaving a blood trail you tend to get led around the line and get quick service...

Other than arriving in an ambulance or being a middle aged man complaining of "chest pain" there is no faster way to "jump" the waiting line...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
From the time when I was 18 and a CHEAP ratchet broke causing me to slip and fall and break a finger bone lengthwise (Yes, really! That was the day I discovered that when an ER doctor says "Awwwww... Neat!!!" you are officially having a BAD DAY....

I decided that my tender body parts are too valuable to waste my money on cheap tools...
I CORRECTLY determined that spending money on better tools rather than on Orthopedic surgeons would actually save me money!!!

Though I will say if you go into an Emergency room leaving a blood trail you tend to get led around the line and get quick service...

Other than arriving in an ambulance or being a middle aged man complaining of "chest pain" there is no faster way to "jump" the waiting line...

heh-heh one of my favorite sayings is: hey hon, can you help me fix this hole in my hand.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.

Was that you that I got ahead of in line? Sorry.....

Actually that depends on the hospital and how good...or bad they are. When I had my heart attack, the nimrods at the local band-aid center put me back in the waiting room for 3 hours before they started running tests. This also after they verified my B/P was 210/180. One quad bypass and pacer implant later? I'm rearing to go!!!!

S-

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My wife lov s when I come into the house with a " I think I ****ed up". Usually means a good visit to the ear for us.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals