• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing Chain/Tensioner issue

81eagle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did timing chains on my '01 and was very satisfied the results.....for about 250mi. The engine started making a rattling sound when warm at idle. The noise continues even off idle and worst at about 2000rpm. I installed a mechanical oil psi gauge to verify oil pres was not the problem. It holds about 20lbs at idle warm and instantly hits 40+ off idle. It jumps to 55+ at cold start. I pulled the belt off to verify it wasn't an accessory causing the noise. It wasn't.

I pulled the engine to verify cam timing and no slipped sprockets. All OK. I noticed that when barring the engine over the rear cassette flops open and closed. Like the tensioner doesn't hold enough pressure on it to maintain tension. The engine also when being barred over has resistance from compression, then goes free just briefly, and this is when the cassette flops. The front cassette does not do this. You can also see where the cassette has contacted the head from the flopping action.

I feel this is my problem. I used shop air to blow into oil passage that feeds the tensioner and it is clear straight to the filter base. No restrictions found.

The engine ran absolutely flawless for those first 200mi. Any input?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tensioner should have a spring inside to hold tension when there is no oil pressure so I would say bad tensioner.

81eagle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Tensioner should have a spring inside to hold tension when there is no oil pressure so I would say bad tensioner.
I hear ya and it does. I am thinking the same thing. I must say the old tensioner and the new have about the same resistance when pressed. I just don't want to put engine in again just to remove for the 3rd time.

Shouldn't oil psi compensate for the spring during operation?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they are hydraulic tensioners

81eagle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I really appreciate your responses. I just saw on a Youtube video that the tensioners have to be primed. I was not aware that when I assembled the Cloyes timing components. Is it necessary? I mean it ran great for couple hundred miles. I put the OTC fax tensioner in it which has considerably more spring tension, and the cassette didn't flop around when barring the engine over. Do you think I may have an oiling issue?

Thanks for all your help. I really don't want to put the engine back in just to pull it back out again. Have you heard of anyone else having this issue with the Cloyes set?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what they mean by "priming it", you would soak it in oil like you would hydraulic lifters.

And yes, if that was the issue then it wouldn't have been fine for those few hundred miles.

Not sure how disassembled the engine is but you could use a drill to run oil pump without that tensioner in place to make sure you got oil flowing out of its feed hole, Air is good, oil is better :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals