• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Sensor unplugged.

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello, i went to ford they are having issues locating the correct part for my truck "Seems they dont know in their own systems how to find the correct one and they sold me one that doesn't even match my plugin its actually complete opposite" So i had to show them in the truck, well i had to take a picture cause they would 'charge' me for the use of their mech and he'd want to run diagnostics. The part is the connector that is on the harness not the actually sensor. its burnt in the terminals. So their gonna find me one here in a day or so and then order is.. so i had to unplug my temp sensor completely and drive regardless for work and such.

Any info on what im doing to my engine, is it safe to drive it in +20~+30 weather.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello, i went to ford they are having issues locating the correct part for my truck "Seems they dont know in their own systems how to find the correct one and they sold me one that doesn't even match my plugin its actually complete opposite" So i had to show them in the truck, well i had to take a picture cause they would 'charge' me for the use of their mech and he'd want to run diagnostics. The part is the connector that is on the harness not the actually sensor. its burnt in the terminals. So their gonna find me one here in a day or so and then order is.. so i had to unplug my temp sensor completely and drive regardless for work and such.

Any info on what im doing to my engine, is it safe to drive it in +20~+30 weather.

why not just go to your local part store?

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Iv been to Parts source, Canadian Tire, Parts Plus, Ford Dealership, two auto wreckers 'Looking to score a deal on the parts' but they had only older rangers a newest being a 03 that i smashed the air intake off and took the harness+sensor which also didnt connect.

Like i have no idea why my pigtail sensor wouldnt connect. at all to any of the 2-3 parts i found i bought so far 1 sensor, 1 terminal/harness connector, then 2 parts from the auto wrecker.

Mines a 2010 ford ranger 2.3L. rwd. the sensor thats damaged is the one thats ontop of the engine. On the heads. It came up error code p1299.

Last edited:

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This is the truck and the pigtail from the top view.

With the sensor plugged in - I drive normal for about 15 minutes - than bogs, high idles 3000-4000RPMS, black smoke, fuel eco is out the window "Im driving a 50T tank' stalls, dies and will take forever to crank over to start.

With sensor unplugged the truck runs perfect iv noticed and is back to its quite self and back to the nice humming im use too. Sounds like a Ricer but sounds nicer than those kids who toss on cherry bombers and make it sounds like theirs screaming into a pop can.

Mainly looking to see if im gonna hurt my truck while i drive possibly a 'week' without the part.

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No it won't hurt to drive it that way.

p1299 is head temp sensor code, CHT(cylinder head temp) sensor

Not related to coolant temp sensor(ECT)

You need to ask for a head temp sensor, if you ask for a temp sensor you will always get the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor from a parts guy

Google: 2010 ford Ranger 2.3l CHT sensor

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
RockAuto.com

p/n S2034

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you guys, thanks for the straight forward unbeaten around the bush responses and the links.

Owe you guys thank you.

BTW : ford wanted 74$ for the 8$ part.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's about right, extra $66 for printing Ford on the box and paying the copy right fees to themselves for using the Ford Blue Oval :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals