• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

break pedal goes to floor when engine is running

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1989 ford ranger when engine is off i have a good pedal there is no air in the line when truck is running pedal goes to floor and rpm goes up and down thinking it mite be the break booster cuz when i hit the pedal it also makes a wisshhh sound any help on this matter would be very helpful

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do the brakes work when engine is off?

i.e. Does pushing down on the pedal actually engage the brakes?

Yes reads like power booster has a leak between vacuum side and cab side, so that will need to be replaced, just not sure on the master cylinder.

On the engine side of power booster the vacuum hose to the running engine creates negative air pressure in 1/2 the power booster
In the cab where the brake pedal push rod goes into the power booster is an atmosphere valve, when you press on the pedal that valve is opened and the 15psi(at sea level) air pressure rushes in to "assist" you in pressing down the brake pedal because of the negative pressure in 1/2 the booster.

The engine RPMs changing and the wooshing noise when pedal is pushed means the booster diaphragm has a leak.
But you should still have pedal pressure unless booster push rod is no longer connected to master.
If brakes don't work with engine off then that is what has happened

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They engage when engine is off but think I mite have solved my problem finally remembered there is 2 different break boosters for abs and none abs in my hurry doing new break lines i completely bypassed abs unit so going to hook that back up and see if that solves my problem will do that tomorrow after work and will post up if it's fixed

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well its break booster picking up new one tomorrow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals