• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will Chrome Rims Hold Up In the Salty Northeast?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, guys.

I have a 1992 Ranger Custom with 4WD, rolling on 235/75 R15s on stock steelies, with no lift. I have to buy new tires soon, because despite having tons and tons of tread left, they’ve dry rotted. :shok:

I was hoping to find a good tire/rim combo on Craigslist, but haven’t had much luck. So I'm considering having the new tires mounted on different rims while the old ones are still on the truck, as I hate the look of the steelies. I found these chrome Ford rims on CL. https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/wto/d/chrome-rims/6573661302.html

They look to be the custom rims that Ford put on some of the Rangers as an option from ’89-92. I confirmed with the seller that they have a 4.5” bolt pattern and are 7” wide, so I think they should fit with no issue. The one thing I worry about is how chrome rims will hold up here in the Northeast, where salt is used very liberally to de-ice the roads in winter. Are they a bad option? I don’t want to deal with chrome bubbling and flaking off in a few years, though I guess maybe I could sandblast them and paint them black, if that does happen. Thoughts? Thanks.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I had Chrome steel rims on my Chevy pickup years ago, they rust stain nearly overnight! so it was it constant pay attention job of cleaning them, but they looked nice!

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had Chrome steel rims on my Chevy pickup years ago, they rust stain nearly overnight! so it was it constant pay attention job of cleaning them, but they looked nice!
Yeah, I kind of figured as much. When you mentioned this, it triggered a memory of when I had to constantly polish the chrome Cragar rims on my father’s Chevelle with Brasso as a kid. Yuck. No thanks.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
We tend to not realize that most aluminum rims are clear-coated. Otherwise the routine for them would be just as intensive
Yeah, I kind of figured as much. When you mentioned this, it triggered a memory of when I had to constantly polish the chrome Cragar rims on my father’s Chevelle with Brasso as a kid. Yuck. No thanks.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We tend to not realize that most aluminum rims are clear-coated. Otherwise the routine for them would be just as intensive
Yeah, I’ve seen a bunch of those for sale too, complete with that filmy, washed-out look. Guess I’ll try to find some painted steel ones that look a little snappier than the ugly stock ones that came with the truck. Thanks for your input!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Get the chrome ones and clear coat them.

Then only run them in the summer. Keep a set of crappy mismatched steelies with your winter tires on them in the garage.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Ditto with adsm08. 2 complete sets winter+summer. This also saves on mount and balance and wear and tear on tire beads. Change them back and forth yourself and know they are done right.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TWO sets of rims & tires? Well ain’t you guys just high society! lol

Seriously though, she’s a daily. Nice idea, but I’ll prolly just pick up some BF Goodies that I can run year-round.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
TWO sets of rims & tires? Well ain’t you guys just high society! lol

Seriously though, she’s a daily. Nice idea, but I’ll prolly just pick up some BF Goodies that I can run year-round.
I personally don't do it, but I also don't have nice wheels. If I ever find myself a set of Alcoas I will do that and have my current steelies as my winter rims.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals