• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st gen rangers

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good point... Did I mention I HATE 1st gen Rangers! Yuck!
No, you didn't say that...but it is an acquired taste...I don't particularly like single cabs since that is where I started on my first Ranger...mostly because they are so small for someone 6'6"...so the first chance I had I upgraded to an extended cab...which are essentially easier to sit in and can hold some of my junk.

I'm not crazy about third gens because the front ends look so plain...and the hood bulges in the wrong place...I like fourth and fifth gen styling a bit more...but each generation has it's good and bad points.

There is talk on here that the best 4x4 Rangers are third gens from 95 to 97...which I can't refute since I don't have experience with them...other than my 96 Ranger that had serious rust issues...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love the clean, simple yet rugged style of the first generations... aside from a few upgrade parts here and there that can be scavenged I don't have much use for anything later.

Mike Tonon

No, you didn't say that...but it is an acquired taste...I don't particularly like single cabs since that is where I started on my first Ranger...mostly because they are so small for someone 6'6"...so the first chance I had I upgraded to an extended cab...which are essentially easier to sit in and can hold some of my junk.

I'm not crazy about third gens because the front ends look so plain...and the hood bulges in the wrong place...I like fourth and fifth gen styling a bit more...but each generation has it's good and bad points.

There is talk on here that the best 4x4 Rangers are third gens from 95 to 97...which I can't refute since I don't have experience with them...other than my 96 Ranger that had serious rust issues...
Haha, sorry, I was just trying to help keep the prices low.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Haha, sorry, I was just trying to help keep the prices low.
LOL...good plan...I hate them if I don't own them...

I love the clean, simple yet rugged style of the first generations... aside from a few upgrade parts here and there that can be scavenged I don't have much use for anything later.
I think that's what attracted me to my first Ranger...or it might have been that the guy who owned it before me was a coworker and he could never get it right...I figured I needed a project truck and...well...I think I've told this story before...:icon_rofl:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Wow, real nice condition. The price is up there that is true.
For some reason the little B2 dont have/hold much value at all. In cherry condition for a 4x4 people dont want to pay even 2k for one it seems. and a 2wd you can't give away.
I just don't understand it. yeah It is a odd vehicle with querks... real small, top heavy, guess Ford got in alot of trouble because they roll over easy.
Its just strange.

Here is another cream puff forsale on out site...have to go to his album for pictures.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141227

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The one B2 i mentioned earlier that is in like new condition. almost same condition of that blue creampuff posted above)
I spoke to the guy the other day. He wanted like $3,800 a year ago. Now he has a sign that has it at $2,000 obo. 88, 2.9 (new casting heads) , 5 speed , 2wd. xlt power everything with a/c.
It ran when he parked it and It sat for a year, and he said the last time they tried to start it , about 2 months ago it wouldent start.
told me he would take $1,000 for it.

Sad thing is, I could get it running pretty cheap probably. I have a complete 4x4 ranger
I could use to convert it to 4x4. ( pretty easy from what I have read) and what would I have in the end?
a vehicle that is only worth $1,000/ $1,500 if I tried to sale it?
I will probably buy it just for myself and keep it.
I just don't understand why most people think the b2 is worthless.
But a ranger in the same condition brings twice the money easy.

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

The one B2 i mentioned earlier that is in like new condition. I spoke to the guy the other day. He wanted like $3,800 a year ago. Now he has a sign that has it at $2,000 obo. 87, 2.9 , 5 speed , 2wd. xlt power everything with a/c.
It ran when he parked it and It sat for a year, and he said the last time they tried to start it , about 2 months ago it wouldent start.
told me he would take $1,000 for it.

Sad thing is, I could get it running pretty cheap probably. I have a complete 4x4 ranger
I could use to convert it to 4x4. ( pretty easy from what I have read) and what would I have in the end? a vehicle that is only worth $1,000/ $1,500 if I tried to sale it?
I just don't understand why most people think the b2 is worthless.
But a ranger in the same condition brings twice the money easy.
I'd buy it for that price for parts, for a Ranger, if it has a lot of really nice parts. Do you have any pictures of it?

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I came across the article from 11/23/2011 for a bronco2 forsale . Guess it was a member on this forum selling it.
http://jalopnik.com/5861798/for-4250-is-this-bronco-ii-good-to-be-true

voting numbers:
Nice Price: Broncool! 46.40% (1,252 votes)

Crack Pipe: Bronco II too expensive 53.60% (1,446 votes)

read the comments ( probably from chevy or jeep people)

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I'd buy it for that price for parts, for a Ranger, if it has a lot of really nice parts. Do you have any pictures of it?
No pictures yet. But this is what I am trying to understand.
why nobody thinks a b2 is worth anything but parts?
You said you would part it out to fix up a ranger.

I have never owned a B2. I rode in one for like 5 minutes back in highschool to a gas station and back. are they really that worthless of a vehicle?
I know they have a following of fans, but so does every other design of a car...good or bad design... corvair's, pinto's, hell even the Chrysler K platform cars have fans. LOL
but the general public consensus think the b2's are...worthless.

inform me please .

Last edited:

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
B2's have all the same problems that rangers do. They just arent as good looking in most peoples eyes ( i think theyre pretty good looking) and they arent as utilitarian despite being called a sport utility vehicle. Honestly it would please me more to take a ranger and use it for parts on a B2 than vise versa. To answer your question they are just as worthless as rangers however much that may be to you. But i am biased i picked up my B2 for $350 and it only had 100k and it got me through high school, a lot of good times in that vehicle, some bad too. But i will tell you this i got my B2 and the only problems were the distributor falling apart waylaying me on my way to school and the oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. that was it for 15-20k miles, i've had this f 150 here in north dakota since august or so and ive put less than 1500 miles on it and its given me more problems and cost more money than my b2 did in 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

No pictures yet. But this is what I am trying to understand.
why nobody thinks a b2 is worth anything but parts?
You said you would part it out to fix up a ranger.

I have never owned a B2. I rode in one for like 5 minutes back in highschool to a gas station and back. are they really that worthless of a vehicle?
I know they have a following of fans, but so does every other design of a car...good or bad design... corvair's, pinto's, hell even the Chrysler K platform cars have fans. LOL
but the general public consensus think the b2's are...worthless.

inform me please .
I'm sure they're fun. I was just thinking from a monetary and part availability viewpoint. Lets say you could get a BroncoII for $1,000 and it had a straight and clean and crack free dash pad, smooth working TK5 tranny with low miles, low mile, smooth running 2.9L engine and a few dozen interchangeable Ranger trim pieces. If you were restoring a 1st gen Ranger, wouldn't a clean BroncoII be a potentially priceless parts source?

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure they're fun. I was just thinking from a monetary and part availability viewpoint. Lets say you could get a Ranger for $1,000 and it had a straight and clean and crack free dash pad, smooth working TK5 tranny with low miles, low mile, smooth running 2.9L engine and a few dozen interchangeable Bronco 2 trim pieces. If you were restoring a 1st gen Bronco 2, wouldn't a clean Ranger be a potentially priceless parts source?

Thats what i think. I almost bought a 2011 ranger X-cab 5 speed. I would've been in debt for 4 years, i loved the way it drove it was comfy had lots of power. But I couldn't shake the caged in feeling while i was driving it, it felt like i was in a 2011 Ford Cage. We all have our own oppinion's i see the appeal of a Ranger but i would rather drive a B2 any day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and not many see the beauty of a B2.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals