• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D and t case HOT to the touch?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Just got back from a short 2wd trip doing errands, nothing crazy, and noticed the transmission (manual) and t case are really hot to the touch. Not enough to burn you but very uncomfortable to hold onto. Hotter than I would think is normal.

Is that bad? Normal? I have new fluid in both (whatever the owners manual reccomends- Merc V I think), which is topped off (literally just checked yesterday).

Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Fluid spec for a 1997 M5OD is Mercon. This fluid will normally be branded as "Dex/Merc" nowadays.

Ford however, for some time now has been wanting you to believe Mercon V is a complete replacement for Mercon, but for some applications (such as the M5OD), there's been a number of reports of hard-shifting issues, probably because it's too slippery for the synchros in a manual trans to function correctly. I generally recommend sticking with Dex/Merc fluid for any M5OD specifying Mercon.

Use of Merc V however would have little or no bearing on operating temperature. It's perfectly normal to see manual trans temps well over 150°F, maybe even 200° after being subjected to a sustained load in any gear but 4th. Figure that the engine it's attached to is already running at 190-195°F as well.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How hot do you think the trans should be getting, or not getting?

I can usually hold a hand on a trans, but my tolerance is pretty high.

Like Junkie said, you have loads and fluid sheer, and things happening in all gears but 4th, and you have the trans bolted right up to an engine that is running on the high side of 200*F. Metal likes to transfer heat. You also have the exhaust radiating a good bit of heat, although not 200*, into the same area as the trans.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks guys. I realize it was kind of a stupid question. I never thought that hard about hows hot a manual trans might get after use and just got nervous.

Thanks for the helpful info on MERC V. I would not have known.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah Ford yanked the license for the name "Mercon" some time around 2007 IIRC, and then stipulated Mercon V as a replacement.
Funny thing is... prior to this, Ford themselves actually stated never swap or mix these fluids, they are not compatible (and will void warranties because of it too). IMO they should've just stuck with that advice.

Fortunately the aftermarket oil brands recognized there being an issue and have continued to make the original Mercon fluid, but because of the licensing crap, they now have to call it "Dex/Merc" (same shenanigans took place simultaneously with GM's "Dexron III" fluid, so is why the name. The two fluids were essentially the same).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals