• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger - 2WD - brakes won't bleed

swingjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1985 project truck 47k miles. I was having a slight shutter when breaking so I pulled the front calipers to clean and lubricate the brakes. I did not brake the lines, just collapsed the piston. After reinstallation I had a very soft pedal.

Before compressing the pistons I had removed fluid from the master cylinder so it would not overflow. In reading other posts on the list, it seems I should have opend the bleeders, rather than pushing the old fluid back into the master cylinder. But i didn't. Bad on me.

I attempted to bleed the brakes to resolve this but, I am continually getting air out of the lines. I notice lots of entrained air in the fluid in the master cylinder resevoir, and the fluid coming out of the bleeder. When pumping up the brakes, it hisses air out of the closed resevoir. If I press the pedal I with the resevoir open I'll get a shot of fluid up out of the resevoir.

When i got this truck, it was obvious the resevoir had been leaking for a long time. Leaking fluid had eaten the paint off of the bottom half of the booster, and there was a generous layer of old brake fluid on the resevoir. I replaced the the resevoir seal, which was in bad shape, and thought that would cure the leaking resevoir. In hind sight this may have been a long standing problem, although the brakes seemed fine prior to me removing the calipers.

Suggestions?

InsaneBroncoII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A leaking master cylinder causes a paint peel underneath and on the booster below where the master cylinder mounts. Its much better to replace the old master cylinder than to fix it. I was taught to open the bleederscrew and use a clamp to depress the piston so that all of the garbage that's inside the calipers wouldn't get pushed back into the master cylinder. Also on second note you may need to hold open the proportioning valve, so you can bleed the brakes, and it's tied into the lines going from the m\c to the brakes, and it should not be far from the master cylinder.

swingjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This turned out to be a bad master cylinder. Replaced it, gravity bled the breaks, everything was good after that.

As you note the paint all peeled off the booster should have been the signal for me to change the master cylinder. The brakes seemed good when I purchased the truck so I simply replaced the master cylinder gasket and thought that would take care of it. Not!!

Anyway, thanks for the reply
Carl

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals