• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EPA To Wipe Out Lead Bullets

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I can sense the craze in ammo over it so I think I will pick up some stuff while it's cheap.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can sense the craze in ammo over it so I think I will pick up some stuff while it's cheap.
Our Fleet Farm had full shelves of everything.
Dave

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You know aside from small game shells I don't think we ever used lead bullets anyway. My dad was always partial to the lead-tip copper mushrooms.

I slit open a doe's stomach with one of those once. I shot her once, hit hear the heart, but she didn't go down, she ran a few yards, stopped, so I took another quarter shot, and then her guts fell out. A piece broke off and slit her stomach.

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Steel is limited by Federal law to waterfowl hunting. This is only because ducks/waterfowl are migratory birds. The USFWS was specifically prohibited from banning lead shot for any other purpose.

That being said, we all know the Government has its ways to make life difficult.

Minnesota has banned lead shot in all state owned waterfowl management areas. Guess states can and will do it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Recently a Federal appellate court determined that the EPA would be exceeding the authority given to it by congress to ban all uses of lead, and specifically to ban it's use in ammunition.

FWIW wat is actually used in place of lead as shielding is "Depleted uranium"
it is nearly twice as dense as lead and more effective as shielding and can also be used in substitution of much of the structural steel previously used to support the lead shielding.

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, Congress included a restriction in the recently passed omnibus budget bill limiting EPA on this issue. They cannot regulate lead in ammunition or fishing lures. Only lead issue is with waterfowl hunting.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
IMHO... I doubt the politicians/bureaucrats give a rats rearend about the publics health. FOLLOW THE MONEY:popcorn:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
a Federal Apellate court recently ruled that the EPA had not been granted authority by Congress to "Ban Lead" from ammunition,

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
a Federal Apellate court recently ruled that the EPA had not been granted authority by Congress to "Ban Lead" from ammunition,
I hope its enforced. The EPA goes around and does what it wants with no questions asked.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I hope its enforced. The EPA goes around and does what it wants with no questions asked.
AS I understand it The EPA was getting sued for not creating a ban by some environmental group and the decision was in dismissing the lawsuit against the EPA as frivolous so the EPA KNOWS they lack the authority, because it is what they claimed in court and the three judge panel agreed with them.

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
Not to worry gun guys. We have REAL science on our side and the nut-jobs have been debunked! Lead is NOT TOXIC in wheel weights, fishing sinkers or bullets but the gas formed from heating it is. If water dissolved lead we would have all died years ago...but it does NOT! That is a fact! Lead sinkers with hundreds of years in water weigh the same as the day they were put in the river. Much like global warming has raised the average temp by .07 of a degree...well within the margin of error, lead is only toxic while being worked. Lead in paint is/was a problem only because children ate it when their brains were developing. When casting have a fan blowing fumes away from you and wash after you finish. Liberals are idiots who feel a need for power so they must invent problems only they can fix. I ran a fleet of cop cars on LPG in the 90's but now gas is so clean little is gained...except cost. Just sayin'!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to worry gun guys. We have REAL science on our side and the nut-jobs have been debunked! Lead is NOT TOXIC in wheel weights, fishing sinkers or bullets but the gas formed from heating it is. If water dissolved lead we would have all died years ago...but it does NOT! That is a fact! Lead sinkers with hundreds of years in water weigh the same as the day they were put in the river. Much like global warming has raised the average temp by .07 of a degree...well within the margin of error, lead is only toxic while being worked. Lead in paint is/was a problem only because children ate it when their brains were developing. When casting have a fan blowing fumes away from you and wash after you finish. Liberals are idiots who feel a need for power so they must invent problems only they can fix. I ran a fleet of cop cars on LPG in the 90's but now gas is so clean little is gained...except cost. Just sayin'!
Yeah but birds and other critters eat the lead which isn't good for them. That has been proven.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm with ya Charlie Cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but birds and other critters eat the lead which isn't good for them. That has been proven.
No, NO, NO!!! it has been repeatedly "suggested", but there is NO "proof".

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, NO, NO!!! it has been repeatedly "suggested", but there is NO "proof".

AD
So lead is ok to eat?

Or eagles and coyotes know to pick around the lead shrapnel in a carcass? I know lead deer slugs blow into many small pieces when they hit a bone (and the bone does too) Ducks and geese know not to eat it as they eat aquatic plants and bugs off the bottom of ponds?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals