• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent Brakes when very cold

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This has to do with a 2003 Ford Escape which my daughter drives, I know not a RBV but you've been a helpful crew here.

Pedal intermittently just doesn't want to move. It feels just like power assist has failed. It tends to happen first thing in the morning or late evening when temperature is cold and car has been sitting. Usually when first moving but sometimes it is okay at first and seems to go away a short distance later to later come back.

My daughter is not living out west in the mountains and temperatures at night are routinely dropping into signal digits and below zero.

Any thoughts as to what is likely going on?

Shop couldn't find anything told her to pay attention to when it happens. I'll be out there in a couple weeks.

Someone suggested to her bleeding the brakes, that seems like an unlikely issue, air shouldn't cause that, more a soft pedal. Unless there is some moisture in the lines.

The ABS control module was replaced a few months ago on this vehicle. Seems unlikely a hard pedal is related to ABS, I would expect the opposite, but maybe there is something else that could happen involving that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you are correct, brakes or ABS issue would be long shots.

I would guess power booster or it's vacuum line and check valve.
Losing vacuum assist feels like brake pedal is sticking.

Power booster should hold vacuum at least over night, if not longer.
For safety the power booster should hold enough vacuum pressure for 3 or 4 pedal pushes in case engine should stall while driving, after shutting off the engine see how many pedal presses it takes before vacuum assist is gone, stiff pedal.
If she only gets 1 or 2 pushes then it is leaking.

Before starting engine have her pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times, that should release any vacuum remaining.
Then have her press down on the pedal and start the engine, pedal should drop a little more when it gets engine vacuum.
If it doesn't then check valve or hose to intake could be the issue.

Also in colder climates you can get moisture in the power booster and check valve, this can freeze.
Remove check valve and check it for moisture, dry it out and the hose as well.

There is also a small valve inside the cab where the brake pedal rod connects to power booster, when pedal is pressed this valve opens and lets in the 15psi(sea level) air pressure that is "assisting" you to press the pedal, that's the "boost" in power booster, lol.
If this valve isn't opening then no boost, this is also a long shot since it would probably not be intermittent or effected by temp, unless moisture was involved.

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron, as always sensible info, that will be helpful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals