• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dropping a ranger gen 1

austin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 85 ranger short bed 2wd that I'm about to do a 3/4drop on, but I'm curious what all I need? I'm gonna do dream beams in the front and an axle flip in the rear but do I need longer u bolts for the rear axle or any hardware? I assume that the axle flip kit would come with everything I need... Also my front coils sag pretty bad so should I get new standard height could or lowered coils? Thanks!:icon_confused:

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You will just need the djm beams for the front, possibly get some camber adjustment bushing might help with the camber if the sagging springs cause any. and I didnt buy a flip kit for my rear on any of the rangers(i only fool with 1st and 2nd gen) i've lowered I've always just went down the local hardware store and bought the leaf spring axle perches like you do if you are making a trailer and weld them to the axle and i've never had to get longer u bolts they were always long enough.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As said above, unless you break something the kit comes with everything you need. Your u-bolts will work with the flip brackets included in the kit. That said, and this is probably obvious, I'd install new ball joints and radius arm bushings while everything is apart.

The beams will drop you 3" from current height, so if that's what you want don't replace them. If you want more than 3" drop you'll need to get drop springs and will have to have the camber bushings to align it. Stock replacement springs may raise the front end a little, might get more like a 2" drop in front with them and the beams.

Lil2much

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just signed up and makin rounds. Picked up a 88 gen1 the other day, she runs good and with no rust. First thing i want to do is drop the front using the belltech 2" lower springs, im guessin i also need the lowering shocks. Could anybody help me out as to any other parts i may need i like to order everything at once....save on shipping, much thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you went 3" with springs you would definitely need drop shocks, but At 2" you may be okay with stock length. Mileage on that varies, some people get away with stock and others need drop shocks. I think it depends a lot on driving habits.

You will need camber bushings for the shop to align the suspension, unfortunate truth of lowering with springs. Should be able to get adjustable ones from NAPA, otherwise the shop will have to tell you what degree you need. On an 88 ranger I can almost guarantee that you will need new ball joints, and since you have to pull the knuckles to install the camber bushing it would be a good time to do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals