• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

De-powered Steering Rack

BattleBeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

My 98 Ranger has a steering rack that has sprung a leak, which combined with a dying power steering pump and cracking lines means I'm probably looking to replace the entire system.

As a point of idle curiosity before buying all that, has anyone de-powered a Ranger steering rack? It occurred to me that it could be significantly cheaper, simpler, and lighter to ditch the p/s entirely and I'm curious if it's been done. As there doesn't seem to be an available manual rack, the idea would be to do a complete de-power as is commonly done in Mazda RX7s and the like, where a power rack is torn apart, fluid pistons cut out, greased, and reassembled.

I'm not particularly concerned with civility (my driver's seat is a fixed-back bucket, hardly a Cadillac :p), but if it'll make the steering too heavy to turn reasonably quickly at speed I'll just order new P/S parts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'98 might be tough, earlier Rangers came with manual steering, power assist was an option, '83 to '97 I think, but most sold were power assist.
Swapping these years would just be a matter of finding a manual steering Ranger at a wrecker and swapping it over to yours, but they are probably scarce as hen's teeth, lol.

In '98 they switch to rack and pinion and only offered power assist, they also changed the front suspension from Twin I-beam to IFS (Independent Front Suspension) in '98

Since you have a '98 not sure what parts you would have to change over, could be pretty much the whole front end.

BattleBeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm keeping my front suspension (I don't want the unsprung weight of an i-beam setup, even if the travel is better), which I get rules out any stock manual steering option- the idea is to take a 98-up Ranger standard cab power-assisted rack, disassemble it, cut the power assist pistons out of it, and plug the fluid passages, in effect creating a manual rack. Given that the standard cab rack is 4.0 turns lock to lock, the ratio is very similar to many sporty car manual racks that feel just fine; what I'm wondering is if the steering feel will be too heavy in a Ranger given that it's heavier in the nose than the cars I've driven with manual racks.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I know there is potential for damage, but wouldn't it be possible to temporarily disconnect the lines to get a feel for the steering that way?

BattleBeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
You know, for all the reading and research I've been doing, it just hadn't occurred to me to try that. I feel kinda dim, haha. I have to replace the lines and pump if I retain the P/S anyway, so I'm really out nothing to try it. While it will have a little more resistance than a full depower (still fluid and seals inside the rack), it should be a pretty good hint at what it'll be like. Thanks!

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With or without power steering turning while in motion is easy and because these trucks arent that heavy its relatively simple to steer without power assist... it just takes time to get used too... my question is can you just remove the pump and plug the holes on the steering box after removing the pump?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals