• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New seat upholstery for 82/03 Rangers

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Acme Auto Headlining Co. makes seat upholstery for 82/2003 Rangers. They made the seat upholstery for my 74 F100 and my Dad's 79 F150 and they were both very nice. I sold my F100, my Dad still has his 79 F150 and the seat looks new after a few years of use. http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/rangerpickup1.html
You can go on the Acme web site and pick the material you like. Your not stuck with picking the material they show for your application. For my 97 Ranger with a 60/40 seat they showed Camel and oak colors of tan. I received the samples and didn't like them at all in my Ranger, the Camel color was too gold and the oak color wasn't a good match for my Prairie tan. So I ordered Sand Stone Encore Velour with a Ebony Woven Cloth seating area. I feel having the black woven seating area with be easy to keep clean and will hold up better, plus the black and tan colors are a good match for my Ranger's door panels. Acme won't sell retail so you will need to order the upholstery from one of their vendors. I went with Car and Truck Upholstery http://www.carandtruckupholstery.com/
I found them to be very helpful and have good prices. The upholstery is made and shipped by Acme and my take up to two weeks to receive. I just order mine Friday so I will post pictures of it when receive and install the upholstery.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here are the pictures with my new seat upholstery installed. It attached just like the factory upholstery so it was easy to install.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Nice write up, XLTsplash. Good looking install as well. What's w/ the anvil guy? Guess one is getting bored in Saskatoon. I may be doing this to my 2000 XLT in the future.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
What's w/ the anvil guy?
Did you watch no cartoons as a kid? ACME makes all the non-functional stuff for the Looney Tunes.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks great, I might be looking to them when I put the 86 on the road.

What's w/ the anvil guy?
That would be one of Wile E. Coyote's favorite ACME products. I'm trying to figure out how at your age, with kids and grandkids, you didn't get the reference. Yes, I looked at your profile, wandered if you might be too young to know about Looney Tunes.

Last edited:

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I love having the black woven cloth in the high wear areas of the seat. The velour cloth wouldn't have been my first choice, it was just the best matching cloth that they offered. Over all I'm very happy with the upholstery, It was the easiest upholstery I've ever installed. It had plastic rail clips and Velcro on the lower covers like the original. The seat back covers had Velcro and a zipper at the bottom, even better than the original cover that had plastic clips at the bottom. They gave my hog rings and hog ring pliers with the upholstery and I didn't even need them. I used staples and spray glue for the console upholstery. I also used matching black woven cloth to recover the console armrest/door instead of the tan velour that they supplied with the seat upholstery. I feel it will hold up much better and be easier to keep clean than the velour cloth for the armrest.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Really nice job! Have you recovered seats before or was it that simple?

Also, I don't see the kit listed on Car & Truck Upholstery's web site. Was it special order or could you let us know what the kit price was?

UPDATE: I spoke with Car & Truck Upholstery. They list the kits on their 'sister' site: EZ Soft Tops. The vinyl kit is $329. If you want leather (with vinyl bolsters), it's $699. Prices will most likely increase in October (2014). If you'd like samples, contact Car & Truck and they will arrange that (as the o.p. stated). I did not ask about pricing for the kits with velour.

Last edited:

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Loving the tortoise shell instrument panel trim! Well done! Very nice looking interior.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Really nice job! Have you recovered seats before or was it that simple?

Also, I don't see the kit listed on Car & Truck Upholstery's web site. Was it special order or could you let us know what the kit price was?

UPDATE: I spoke with Car & Truck Upholstery. They list the kits on their 'sister' site: EZ Soft Tops. The vinyl kit is $329. If you want leather (with vinyl bolsters), it's $699. Prices will most likely increase in October (2014). If you'd like samples, contact Car & Truck and they will arrange that (as the o.p. stated). I did not ask about pricing for the kits with velour.
This is the kit I ordered, I just pick different colors. http://www.carandtruckupholstery.com/p-317-1993-97-ford-ranger-standard-cab-velourwoven-cloth-inserts.aspx
I have installed seat upholstery kits on old Mustangs and new Ford cars and trucks. This Ranger seat upholstery was the easiest I've installed. No hog rings needed. It's installed with plastic clips that are sewn onto the covers, velcor that's sewn onto the covers and zippers that are sewn onto the covers. You will also need a can of spray glue and a staple gun to install the console/arm rest upholstery. There will be a few holes you need to cut in the upholstery, this is something you would have to do even if you were installing factory Ford upholstery. If you get the upholstery and have any questions just let me know.
I paid $349 for my 97 Ranger 60/40 seat upholstery in woven cloth and velour cloth. They didn't change me extra for picking my own custom color from the fabrics that Acme offers. Just go on Acme's web site and pick the fabric's and colors you like, even if they don't show them for your Ranger upholstery you can still choose them. Then call car and truck upholstery. They are very helpful and can mail you fabric samples for free. I received my samples then called in my order. They made my upholstery and shipped it to me without any problems.

Last edited:

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Loving the tortoise shell instrument panel trim! Well done! Very nice looking interior.
Thank you. You can buy the dash trim kits on ebay, they come if different colors and types of wood grain as well as carbon fiber looking. I went with the dark walnut wood look.

Last edited:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is the kit I ordered, I just pick different colors. http://www.carandtruckupholstery.com/p-317-1993-97-ford-ranger-standard-cab-velourwoven-cloth-inserts.aspx
I have installed seat upholstery kits on old Mustangs and new Ford cars and trucks. This Ranger seat upholstery was the easiest I've installed. No hog rings needed. It's installed with plastic clips that are sewn onto the covers, velcor that's sewn onto the covers and zippers that are sewn onto the covers. You will also need a can of spray glue and a staple gun to install the console/arm rest upholstery. There will be a few holes you need to cut in the upholstery, this is something you would have to do even if you were installing factory Ford upholstery. If you get the upholstery and have any questions just let me know.
I paid $349 for my 97 Ranger 60/40 seat upholstery in woven cloth and velour cloth. They didn't change me extra for picking my own custom color from the fabrics that Acme offers. Just go on Acme's web site and pick the fabric's and colors you like, even if they don't show them for your Ranger upholstery you can still choose them. Then call car and truck upholstery. They are very helpful and can mail you fabric samples for free. I received my samples then called in my order. They made my upholstery and shipped it to me without any problems.
Thanks!

Both companies have been very responsive with sample requests. I got vinyl samples from Car & Truck and leather samples directly from Acme. Now I just need to decide what kit to buy. I also see that LMC Truck offers seat heaters. I have those in my VW and they're pretty nice to have on a cold winter's day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals