• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Ranger the stRanger

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Looks dang good! If my guages ever go out im gettin some of these,nice job on the header,i know how tight that spot is on the right side!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Thanks! I hope the headers then out as good as they are in my head haha
I have a lot more info on the gauges in my pirate thread, but they are 100% customizable, modular wiring, made in USA and lifetime warranty on electronics

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yours may or may not be the same, but when I did the swap on the blue jeep I used autometer gauges, and the gps module for the speedo. I noticed you have to sit for about 10 to 15 seconds after you start the truck for the speedo to start reading.

SVT
That wait is for the gauge to link up to GPS satellite if you dont hook the 12v constant power wire up.When its wired to be hot all the time {like a clock} it works as soon as vehicle is started.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Not much progress this weekend. Finished my console though for the most part. It looks alright, the sheet metal is a pain to work with. The arm cushion I made from some high density seat cushion foam I got at walmart and some thick cotton cloth doubled up (also from walmart). I just cut the foam layers slightly larger than a wooden base board I cut, then wrapped the cloth over it. Really easy. Overall I have about $120 in metal and other materials. **** your tuffy!
Still waiting on my triple sticks to finish it 100%

One big order of parts left to do, intake tubing, radiator, plumbing, mufflers and some 3'' exhaust tube

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Very nice! Always better when you can make it yourself. Im getting ready to build one myself this week as well.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Headers are getting there, Just need some more welding and filler plates in the collector

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I got a ton of work done this weekend on the truck. Unfortunately Friday fist thing I dropped my phone and ****ed it up, so the pictures are limited and shitty at best.
I got the headers welded, 02 bungs installed and painted. I got my radiator from speedway mounted. I had to cut the middle of the core support apart but then made a new upper and lower crossbeam that the radiator sits in. I am using the stock fan and I have clearance to install and remove it with the radiator installed. I cut the AC mount off and mounted the ignition coil there instead. Also I made my tranny hump cover, installed the console, shifter and a battery disconnect. Wired the battery back into the truck, and I hooked up my gauges. They are sweet! Finally I located my remote oil filter. Tuesday I start 2 weeks of vacation, I am planning to crank this engine over this week. I am still waiting on transfer case parts, then I need drive shafts and I need exhaust pieces to run from the headers to the mufflers.
Also the alternator wiring, fuel connects, and power steering were direct swap over to the 89 bronco accessories (except fuel line length)

Last edited:

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
That's a sweet looking 2nd gen!! After reading this entire thread and realizing there's other people with RBVs only 3 hours south of me kinda motivated me to get one of my 2 Rangers running again.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Any updates?
Ive been working on it all week, just little piddly crap that is time consuming (final install items, paint, wiring etc). Check back tomorrow night and hopefully I'll have a video of it's first startup

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no oba? maybe further mod the bracket for the older style r-12 pump and a weldernator combo.

the home built headers are awesome though.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
no oba? maybe further mod the bracket for the older style r-12 pump and a weldernator combo.

the home built headers are awesome though.

Thanks! My plan for OBA is to build myself a power tank setup. I've never seen anyone with an OBA setup that could put out the same type of cfm a power tank can crank out. And I can locate it wherever and install/remove with ease

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever messed with the York Compressors? While not as fast as a power tank they provide unlimited air. They do 4 cfm at 1200 rpm which is close to idle once you figure in pulley ratios. Raise the RPMs and they can put out a little more. My wife has one on her jeep we can air up 4 33"s in under 5 minutes. I am going to put one in my truck.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Thanks! My plan for OBA is to build myself a power tank setup. I've never seen anyone with an OBA setup that could put out the same type of cfm a power tank can crank out. And I can locate it wherever and install/remove with ease

:icon_confused:

are you serious? my oba would free air at 100 psi at 3000 engine rpm.

for damn sure the powertank is good enough for most people though. if you actually use air tools or air lockers you would want to have have a powertank and an oba pump. sometimes i used mine to run air nailers 8-16 hours a day a....not allot of call for that on the sluices, but damn its nice to have air at will...i really miss it.. filling tires isnt any faster with a pt set at 100 psi then my oba either...just cleaner.

i have been thinking 6bt just so i have room for it again.:D

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:

are you serious? my oba would free air at 100 psi at 3000 engine rpm.

for damn sure the powertank is good enough for most people though. if you actually use air tools or air lockers you would want to have have a powertank and an oba pump. sometimes i used mine to run air nailers 8-16 hours a day a....not allot of call for that on the sluices, but damn its nice to have air at will...i really miss it.. filling tires isnt any faster with a pt set at 100 psi then my oba either...just cleaner.

i have been thinking 6bt just so i have room for it again.:D

That 3000 rpm is that catch. I like not having to have the engine running, but you're right with the right compressor you can have equal output, I should have worded myself better. And the power tank monster valves I believe would fill faster but I think any compressor and connect to them?

It's just another component to fail or get in the way, I try to be a minimalist

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I have been trying my hardest all week to get this thing started. It seems the harder I try the harder it fights back. I've ran into multiple issues, had a cracked thermostat housing, junk fuel pressure regulator and now I'm chasing wires trying to get this thing to run. I think I have it all figured out and hopefully tomorrow I can hear this thing breath (open headers).

The motor and tranny are all permanently installed, Im waiting on my shifters and front output shaft to install the transfercases, then I can make the exhaust and measure for drive shafts to get this thing on the road.

Here is how my headers turned out:

driver side clearance next to steering shaft:

Here is how the engine and everything are looking:

I deleted smog and AC, I used a 83 3/4'' belt to make it work.

Here is how I am planning to run the mufflers, driverside is going to be especially tight with the 3'' tube and transfercase

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals