• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Green fluid spray???

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As I was working on '02 Explorer, I heard a funny noise and saw a spray when I turned in the truck (my hood was up). Under the hood I find this:

IMG_20160730_0923485_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160730_0924028_rewind.jpg

I'm guessing that this is refrigerant? I recently recharged the ac system (3 12 oz. cans), but my gauge said I was in the proper range (it was an older gauge, though-- could I have overcharged?). Or is this a sign of a compressor that's on its way out? Something else?

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AC "Refrigerant" doesn't have a color unless you or someone else added die to it to find a leak.

What color coolant is in the radiator/system?

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I was working on '02 Explorer, I heard a funny noise and saw a spray when I turned in the truck (my hood was up). Under the hood I find this:

View attachment 20976
View attachment 20977

I'm guessing that this is refrigerant? I recently recharged the ac system (3 12 oz. cans), but my gauge said I was in the proper range (it was an older gauge, though-- could I have overcharged?). Or is this a sign of a compressor that's on its way out? Something else?

Thanks!

yes it is a/c oil you need to pinpoint the leak and fix pull a vacuum and recharge by weight with an oil charge. guessing it was converted from r12 to r 134a so proper oil would be ester NOT pag..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I stand corrected, I have only ever used clear oil in a compressor, but there is green oil used as well.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I stand corrected, I have only ever used clear oil in a compressor, but there is green oil used as well.
A lot of the shops up here use the green stuff. NYS rust being as great as it is... It's just easier for a shop to add the green oil so it can be ID'd and also locate leaks. Some of the shops even use a new style charge system. Draw the vacuum, check for leaks. And recharge on the HIGH side with the system and car turned "OFF". It pumps the exact charge right into the high side as a liquid.

Amazing stuff. Far cry from when I serviced the older R12 systems back in the 80's. (Then it was manual everything...and R12 sniffer beep tools) (Back then there was one simple rule. NEVER open the valve on the high side unless engine off, system off...and drawing the vacuum. Unless you want to blow the can of R12 up.... Not sure if that would actually happen? But I never wanted to find out)

S-

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't realize that the system is only supposed to have 34 oz. of 134a. I added 36 oz. to a system not even empty. I took it to my mechanic and he let out pressure to 50 psi. My gauge was broken, apparently. He didn't seem overly concerned about the fluid that came out. AC works great now. ;)

Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
AC "Refrigerant" doesn't have a color unless you or someone else added die to it to find a leak.

What color coolant is in the radiator/system?
Most of the refrigerant and PAG you can buy at auto parts stores come pre-loaded with dye.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
yes it is a/c oil you need to pinpoint the leak and fix pull a vacuum and recharge by weight with an oil charge. guessing it was converted from r12 to r 134a so proper oil would be ester NOT pag..
'02 is well after the switch from R-12 to R-134a was implemented (mid-'94).

PAG-46 oil is fine to use on a conversion IF the compressor has also been changed to a newer R-134a-compatible unit (ester is the correct oil to use when reusing the R-12 compressor).

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
'02 is well after the switch from R-12 to R-134a was implemented (mid-'94).

PAG-46 oil is fine to use on a conversion IF the compressor has also been changed to a newer R-134a-compatible unit (ester is the correct oil to use when reusing the R-12 compressor).
For some reason I was thinking it wasa 93 :icon_confused:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Compressor needs to be replaced when doing the conversion?
Why?
Can it be rebuilt with different seals or something? Or is that not worth the effort?
I'm getting ready to get my A/C converted and running. My compressor locked up and I have a used one from a donor of the same year. (93)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If the compressor is an r12 compressor, you can use it but you will need to use a different oil than PAG oil, as the Esther oil will not mix with PAG oil. It will turn into a gooey mess and trash your compressor.

Do change out the condensor and evaporator core tho. You will not be able to flush out all of the parts from the locked up compressor, and they will trash your new compressor very quickly.

And as always, replace the accumulator /dryer and orifice tube.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Compressor needs to be replaced when doing the conversion?
Why?
Can it be rebuilt with different seals or something? Or is that not worth the effort?
I'm getting ready to get my A/C converted and running. My compressor locked up and I have a used one from a donor of the same year. (93)
Correct. A used R-12 compressor is fine for R-134a when used with ester oil.

I recall reading somewhere that past use with R-12 leaves some type of a protective layer on the surface of the compressor's otherwise non-R-134a-compatible internal parts (I would guess the ester oil is to preserve this layer). This protective layer isn't present on a new R-12 compressor. A R-134a compressor however is made of different materials that are compatible with R-134a from the outset, so can be used with PAG oil.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thanks. That is the kind of info I need. I checked out some stuff in the tech library, too.

It almost sounds like the absolute best way to go is to replace everything. :annoyed:
I may settle for some hybrid scheme. But I fully understand the principle of doing it right the first time so it doesn't cost triple to redo it later.

I would prefer to just install the replacement compressor and use it for an onboard air compressor. But if I ever hope to have my wife go wheeling with me, the A/C will have to be functional. :sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals