• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd is f'ed up

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I am almost to the point on flipping a match in this truck to watch it burn. I have a 2000 ranger 4wd. The 4wd quit working. The 4 high and 4 low lights were just blinking on and off. So, I had a 4wd module off of another truck that I put in it to see if it fixed it. I moved the switch to 4 lo and it engaged fine. Then I went to put it back in 2 high and the damn thing is stuck in 4 lo. I have tried removing the battery cable to clear it,. I switched the modules back over. I changed the switch. I removed half the dash and climbed under, inside, left, right, and sideways to inspect wire after wire for a bad spot. I climbed under the truck and checked the wiring harness going into the transfer case motor. I have did everything but burn the POS and stand back and laugh! As you can tell, I am a little pissed off at this thing right now. It has given me more damn problems than a woman....no offense women. lol. Any ideas on what to do to fix it? I cannot drive it in 4 lo and it's my daily driver. I need to get in back in 2 high before Monday. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention

I forgot to say that I have tried it in every gear. I figured I better mention this before someone mentions that it has to be in nuetral or something. I know it has to be in nuetral to go into 4 lo and I have tried to disengage it while in nuetral, park, and driving it around going 20 mph.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
When you shifted back into 2WD, did you just flip the switch to 2WD, or did you pause in 4Hi then go back to 2WD? I've heard of some 4WD systems being quite picky on the way you shift back into 2WD, sometimes you gotta pause in 4HI then back to 2WD.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull shift motor off and shift it by hand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I just tried pausing in 4 high and went to 2wd...it worked this time! However, now it will not go back to 4 lo, but I am happy that it is back to 2wd. I don't know if it was just luck or the switch is really that tricky, because it didn't used to be that way. I could just flip it however and it always went right in. Also, now since 4 lo is not working, it makes me think I still have a problem somewhere, but I ain't touching it now! lol. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, the 4high and 4lo lights just started flashing again...I didn't touch anything. It is still in 2wd, but the 4wd is just out of order I guess. Anyways, I'll just drive it in 2wd for now and hope I don't need 4wd. Thanks again guys.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I am almost to the point on flipping a match in this truck to watch it burn. I have a 2000 ranger 4wd. The 4wd quit working. The 4 high and 4 low lights were just blinking on and off. So, I had a 4wd module off of another truck that I put in it to see if it fixed it. I moved the switch to 4 lo and it engaged fine. Then I went to put it back in 2 high and the damn thing is stuck in 4 lo. I have tried removing the battery cable to clear it,. I switched the modules back over. I changed the switch. I removed half the dash and climbed under, inside, left, right, and sideways to inspect wire after wire for a bad spot. I climbed under the truck and checked the wiring harness going into the transfer case motor. I have did everything but burn the POS and stand back and laugh! As you can tell, I am a little pissed off at this thing right now. It has given me more damn problems than a woman....no offense women. lol. Any ideas on what to do to fix it? I cannot drive it in 4 lo and it's my daily driver. I need to get in back in 2 high before Monday. Any ideas?

having been married for 42 years, I see nothing offensive in that statement:icon_rofl:

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
Im very careful when i use my 4lo. I NEVER turn the truck off in 4lo. And i always switch it to 4hi and drive a few feet to make sure it disengaged and then to 2wd. It may be weird on how i do it but these things, as said above, are picky when it comes yo 4wd. 190,000 miles and not a single problem with 4wd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S6 using Crapatalk

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Swap out the shift motor or at least pull yours and clean up the contacts inside. Cleaning the contacts may or may not have help but I am almost positive swapping the shift motor will correct the issue.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Pulse/Vacuum hubs do get the beat down on these forums. Personally, I've seldom had any problems. Blew a fuse once. Once in -55 degree weather they failed to engage until the oil warmed up a little. Yes, manual transfer cases are more bullet proof and are less irritating and infuriating but not everyone has the ability to change them out.

I am sure I will be pissed if or when my vacuum hubs crap out but they have done well for 18 years.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
This is why the manual hubs and manual t-case are a much better and more simple option LOL. Throw some electronics and electrical into the mix and problems arise.

I think it may also depend on how often you use the 4WD, things become sticky if it just sets in 2WD all the time. I don't use the 4WD in my truck often but I put it in once or twice during the summer to keep things working properly...this includes a short 4Lo engagement and drive as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals