• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I screwed up and ruined my spindle

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So, I heard the whine of a bearing going bad. I parked my truck, jacked up each wheel and spun it. They were all quiet, but one of my rear drums was really dirty and looked like it was leaking diff fluid. Aha, I thought, and replaced both the rear bearings, and did the disk brake swap while I was at it.

Two days after that, driving home from work, the noise came back, LOUD as hell. I had just a few miles left to go, so I just kinda gritted my teeth and hoped for the best. When I got home, and took it all apart, I realized that continuing to drive home had been a bad idea. The inner bearing on my front rotors had failed, all the rollers lookes like smashed jelly beans. The back race seized onto the spindle, and the rotor got loose, grinding into the caliper bracket and into the ABS sensor.
Pictures:

Anyways ,I've got a new rotor, wheel bearings, and bearing seal.

It looks like I still need to order these parts:
-spindle
-spindle bearing and seal kit SBK4
-ABS sensor (looks gone to me, does it look like it would work to you guys?)
-caliper bracket and mounting bolts
Am I missing anything, anything else that may have been damaged and I should look into???

Also, there is some play in the shaft (driver's side). I can push it in and pull it out about a quarter inch. The passenger side does not move. Is this normal??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Some axle end play is normal if the thrust washer(s) & C-clip are not in place (a little up & down movement is normal also). If those parts were already missing before you removed the bearing nuts though, then you should replace them.

As for the sensor, if it's worn thru the front and has a hole in it (kinda looks like it might in your pic, but can't tell for sure), replace it. If the front of it is still solid, then it might be OK, but no guarantees.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If those parts were already missing before you removed the bearing nuts though, then you should replace them.
Umm... I had no idea what you were talking about. But I checkled out the tech library, the manual hub article, and they also talk about a c clip.

Yup, mine were not there at all. Neither side. Where can I get these? I couldn't find them on rock auto.

As for the sensor, there is just a little half moon that is undamaged. The rest got taken out by the notched abs wheel behind the rotor.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would suggest replace the sensor then.

A junkyard is your best bet for the thrust washers and C-clips. On your model ('95-'97) the trust washer is three pieces (two steels, and a plastic (Delrin) one in the middle). The outer washer will have internal splines that mate with the axle shaft. They are the same whether auto or manual hubs.

Earlier solid thrust washers ('90-'94) will work on yours too, but they occasionally can wear themselves into the spindle if not thoroughly lubricated with wheel bearing grease.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest replace the sensor then.

A junkyard is your best bet for the thrust washers and C-clips. On your model ('95-'97) the trust washer is three pieces (two steels, and a plastic (Delrin) one in the middle). The outer washer will have internal splines that mate with the axle shaft. They are the same whether auto or manual hubs.

Earlier solid thrust washers ('90-'94) will work on yours too, but they occasionally can wear themselves into the spindle if not thoroughly lubricated with wheel bearing grease.
I keep learning new things every day. I pulled these off a 93 Explorer yesterda... what you're saying is that these will work, as long as I add plenty of grease.

While I took my spindle out, I also managed to break this stupid thing... it's stamped 44619 LH, and I've looked online, and searched through here, and it's the ABS Sensor Bracket or Shield, but no one knows where to buy one except a junkyard.

I'm going to go back to that 93 explorer and see if I can get that shield... however, some people mentioned running without it/just cutting off the sensor. I still want my ABS to work... will mounting this sensor without the shield be ok?

As far as the rest of the parts, they are on their way from rockauto and should be here Friday :) Except for the sensor. That will be here Tuesday >.<

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I keep learning new things every day. I pulled these off a 93 Explorer yesterda... what you're saying is that these will work, as long as I add plenty of grease.

Yep. Those will work. You can see the wear marks on them... if not lubed well, they tend to chew themselves up in that area on the edge of the spindle.
Slather a bit of bearing grease on them before you install them, and then a bit more grease over the whole thing after you put the c-clip on and you should be fine.

I don't have an answer for your sensor bracket question. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have an answer for your sensor bracket question. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
I hope they can, too. I'm going to go try and pull one this evening, but from what I've read on the forums, they break often and I'd rather have a backup plan. Otherwise, it seems like the only other option is to have a machine shop make one for me, which sounds expensive.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
While I took my spindle out, I also managed to break this stupid thing... it's stamped 44619 LH, and I've looked online, and searched through here, and it's the ABS Sensor Bracket or Shield, but no one knows where to buy one except a junkyard.

I'm going to go back to that 93 explorer and see if I can get that shield... however, some people mentioned running without it/just cutting off the sensor. I still want my ABS to work... will mounting this sensor without the shield be ok?

As far as the rest of the parts, they are on their way from rockauto and should be here Friday :) Except for the sensor. That will be here Tuesday >.<
That little piece is basically just a shield for the sensor, it is held on from the back of the steering knuckle with a single bolt that has a 6mm 12-point head.

And you need either a 1/4 drive socket or a long 3/8 drive socket, because it's kinda hard to get a wrench onto otherwise...

AD

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That little piece is basically just a shield for the sensor, it is held on from the back of the steering knuckle with a single bolt that has a 6mm 12-point head.

And you need either a 1/4 drive socket or a long 3/8 drive socket, because it's kinda hard to get a wrench onto otherwise...

AD
Yeah, I get what it is, I was just wondering if I could still run ABS without it. Anyways, it's not an issue anymore since I did manage to pull one off the Explorer and it's got the same part number on it.

Now the issue is the SBK4 spindle bearing... I can't get the slinger onto the axle-shaft, nor can I find any info on *how* to put it on, except that it's 'press fitted'. I did see a youtube video with a guy using a pair of vice grips and a brass punch - this did not work for me, I guess I lack the skill for it.
This is the kit I have, the slinger is the one on the top left with the lip on it.

This is what it's supposed to look like assembled:

Does anyone know how to get this on?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Without ever having done this, I would use a piece of muffler tubing long enough to go over the shaft and hit with a hammer [with a 2x4 between the tube and hammer].

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Without ever having done this, I would use a piece of muffler tubing long enough to go over the shaft and hit with a hammer [with a 2x4 between the tube and hammer].
That seems like a pretty good idea. I left the axle and slinger at my in-laws this morning, see if he can figure it out while I'm at work. He used to be a mechanic before he hurt his back, but he mostly worked on Asian cars. He's got more tools than I do, tho. If not, I'll try this out tonight.
You're talking about the universal muffler pieces and tube they have at autozone, right?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any tube, be it muffler or otherwise, that will slip over the shaft and still push the slinger on.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any tube, be it muffler or otherwise, that will slip over the shaft and still push the slinger on.
He got it! What he did was stuck the axle and slinger in a vise for one side and a c-clamp on the other side. Got it all put back together, the truck moves again =D

Thanks for the help, everyone!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals