• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake manifold removal problem

xA2D9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually getting to get to the valve cover gasket on my 01 2.3l DOHC. From what I understand there are supposed to be 5 10mm bolts for the intake, which I have located but that's where my problem is. This vehicle was up north for.... Probably it's entire life so everything is rusted and the bottom three bolts are no longer 10mm and are rounded, 8mm way too small and a 9mm will fit but can't grab, I've tried those socket bolt extractors but I can only find 8mm and 10mm so it won't fit, I just tried jb welding a 9mm socket to it but won't stick to that surface very well. I'm running out of ideas because of my lack of room to do anything so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Snapon sells a set of turbo sockets. It is salty, around $200, but they go from 5mm to 13 or 14, (I think) in tenth mm increments. There will be one in that set that will grab those bolts.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you're gonna pay $200 for sockets... I'd look into getting another plastic manifold from a junkyard, then cutting yours out with sawzall. Once you do that, then you'd have room to use a vice grip or drill it out or whatever method you want. And then you'd be left with a huge mess of plastic sawdust to clean up with a shopvac so your engine doesn't beathe it in later lol.

edit: is that one plastic? I'm not familiar with the 2.3L, but the one in my 4.0 is plastic.

Teddlet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Don't know what the torque is on those bolts, but do you have access to try to put a slot in the head with a dremmel sort of tool, & then use half a can of PB blaster with a large screw driver? Or else cut/file/grind off enough to make the 8mm gripper fit?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xA2D9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you're gonna pay $200 for sockets... I'd look into getting another plastic manifold from a junkyard, then cutting yours out with sawzall. Once you do that, then you'd have room to use a vice grip or drill it out or whatever method you want. And then you'd be left with a huge mess of plastic sawdust to clean up with a shopvac so your engine doesn't beathe it in later lol.

edit: is that one plastic? I'm not familiar with the 2.3L, but the one in my 4.0 is plastic.

It is the plastic one and I was just thinking about doing that and picking up a new/junkyard one.

If it was up to me I'd weld a bolt/socket to it and take it off but I'm a little guy and I can barely get my arm in there to find the bolts so unless I'm completely missing something there's no room to modify the bolts in anyway

xA2D9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
You might be able to drill it and use a tap-style bolt extractor? Not a lot of meat there but not a lot to remove either.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I honestly think that most of you do not understand the lack of space to work in this area.

I have had the pleasure of doing these intakes on Focus and Fusion cars, and some of the bolts on this intake make me want to drag the idiot who designed the engine out into the street and go all American History X on him.

To the OP, do yourself a favor, and when you do finally get the intake off replace your PVC/oil separator, it's hose, and the thermostat. They are all under the intake.

Look into these sockets. Per piece the are not any worse than the HFWilson ones, but are more like a regular socket in design and tool attachment.

https://store.snapon.com/1-4-DRIVE-TOOLS-Blue-Point-174--C795638.aspx

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
maybe try a 12 point socket or box wrench, something a little too small and pound it on? 12 pts are better at grabbing rounded stuff than 6 pts.

dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, try to grind new flats?

grip-it sockets, did you pound it on to seat it real good?

hit the head with a punch to mushroom it out a bit in hopes for a better grip?

hit it sideways to dislodge it?

hit it off center on the flange with a chisel to rotate it?

drill into the flange at an angle pointed at the center?

I doubt there is enough room, but a stud remover?

CRC freeze-off to shrink the bolt & crack the rust bond?

pound on a female Torx bit?

a socket with a bunch of pins inside that conform to any shape?

sacrifice the 9mm socket, pound on the end to reduce it to 8.5mm?

all long shots for sure, maybe you'll get lucky on one of them.

Perry

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I've had pretty good luck with those extractor bits. Irvin makes a set that's like $30.

If you can't find the 9mm you need, try the American size that's close. They're sort of conical, so something as long as it's close should work. They'll dig in quite a bit.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'ma be doin my valve cover gaskets today too!

xA2D9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I managed to get the intake off, we grinded off the bolt heads through the wheel well and pulled (with lots of force) ended up taking 2 inserts out along with it. But now that I got that off there's plenty of corrosion on those 3 there's no way they would have spun how it was. But now I have room to move I got wd-40 sitting on it, heat, and vice grips for my first attempt if that fails weld some kind of head on it and keep trying, currently stuck with rain but hopefully some more progress will be made. I'll try to remember to grab a picture before I start removing so you guys can see what it is.

Thanks to everyone pitching in ideas for me!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I would try driving a 3/8 socket onto them. If no joy, then maybe drilling them . If you snap an EZ out in the hole it becomes a real PITA.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals