• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 2.3 efi ranger runs rich wont start when warm

plum77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
new to the page need help getting my ranger fixed it runs rich gets about 7-10 mpg it will fire right up the morning but have to push the gas down about a quarter throttle and hold it there till it warms up for it to idle it feels like it misfires on start up jumps around pretty good but idles smooth once warmed up somtimes when its hot outside it floods and doesnt start unless i hit the switch that shuts off the fuel pumps it fires right up. when i try starting it after its warm it just floods even if i try turning off the pumps it fires up but soon as i flip them back on it floods and dies but if i try this about 2 hours later it fires up and continues running ive replaced ect sensor iat sensor o2 sensor coils new icm fpr it doesnt pull codes when engine isnt running but pulls codes with it running i get codes 4-10-21-41-31- got 34 today after pulling off injectors and trying to clean them but that was with the egr pressure sensor disconnected-77-25 code 25 comes and goes o2 indicates system lean witch i know will make it run 58% richer? but what would cause that if it doesnt misfire i tried pulling each plug wire off 1 at a time to test to see if a cylinder was dead all made the same changes when disconnected. truck runs good doesnt hesitate when i jump on the gas it just runs rich and floods like a mother****er on start up and when i try putting the pedal to the floor when its flooded it doesnt clear the flood im kind of thinking its either going to be the computer or the injectors at this point im bout to start throwing wrenches at it i hope i provided enough info its a 1985 ranger 2.3 efi 5 speed manuel all advice is apreciated thank you

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Everything but running rich screams ignition control module.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try the "Clear flooded engine" test
Warm engine is best but cold will work as well
Turn on key
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it down
Now crank engine
It should not start or even fire

With key on, engine off, and gas pedal to the floor the computer will shut off fuel injector pulses, but leave spark on, this is the "clear flooded engine mode" that is in all EFI computers, not just Ford.
When you release gas pedal, even while cranking, computer will go back to normal operation.

If engine starts or fires with gas pedal to the floor you will know there is fuel leaking into the intake, could be from stuck open injector or Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR).
FPR has a vacuum line attached, remove this line and check it for fuel or the smell of fuel, if fuel is found in this vacuum line then replace FPR it's diaphragm has a leak.

To see if it is a fuel injector, and which one, do the above test with coil unhooked, crank engine with gas pedal to the floor for 5-10 seconds, stop cranking before releasing gas pedal, then remove 1 spark plug from each cylinder, the wet spark plug will tell you which injector is leaking.

'85 should use a MAP(manifold absolute pressure) sensor as the main "air flow" sensor, it is usually located on the firewall behind main wiring harness.
It has a vacuum line to the intake and a 2 or 3 wire connector.
Check the vacuum line, make sure it is flexible and air tight, no leaks.
Computer uses MAP sensor's Vacuum reading to calculate engines air mass and uses that info to set fuel required from each injector.
Highest vacuum happens at idle(throttle plate is closed) so less fuel is required, as you open the throttle vacuum level drops so more fuel is required.
If you have a leak in the MAP vacuum line then computer will see lower vacuum so adds more fuel than is required.

Last edited:

plum77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
like i said the clear engine flood does not work at all witch leads me to belive its the computer especially since it doesnt pull codes with the engine off it wont even read the computer but relays click the fpr is new no gas in the line and the map doesnt have a air leak i pulled the vacuum off when it was running and engine just about died but i stuck it back on there fast the clear engine flood does not work!!! it will fire right up if i turn off the fuel pumps but if its still hot soon as i turn them back on it floods immediatly and dies this trick only works about 2 hours later

plum77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
and the o2 sensor is reading lean witch would make it run way richer but why would it read lean if it runs so rich im guessing cause it has a misfire or one of the injectors is clogged or the computer is on its way out

plum77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i figured it out turns out it has a computer in it from a 1990 ford mustang lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals