• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Valve cover vent?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
I have a 1988 2.0 ranger the engine has been rebuilt and it was low a quart. When I cleaned the air filter this weekend I noticed a lot of oil in the filter housing. I think the bottom end PCV is stuck causing excessive pressure on the top end of the engine. By the way I have a webber carb.

Any ideas?!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi Dan, I'm kinda shocked that you are having these kinds of problems so soon into your new engines life cycle. It certainly could be the lower end being plugged and that would probably mean the canister on the block needs cleaning. I've never seen one plugged up, mind you, but it is possible.

I'd suggest removing that canister from under the intake manifold and douse it with gas or some other cleaning fluid. Easy enough way to check to see if it's plugged though...just blow on one of the ends (I'd recommend cleaning it off first as I hate the taste of oil or gas) and you should feel air coming out the other end.

Only other thing I could suggest is to simply direct that top valve cover vent somewhere else other than the breather. It's not like you really need that dirty oil/air mixture in your carb or breather to make it run better...I just ran mine off into my catch can...except the pressure got so bad that it would blow the oil out of the can all over my engine bay...:annoyed:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Positive crankcase ventilation(PCV) needs to be working or Vent hose will send oil vapor to the air filter housing or tube.

All piston engines have "Blow-by", even when new or rebuilt.
When a cylinder fires the hot expanding gases that push the piston down(giving you power) will also push past the piston rings, this is "blow-by", the hot gases vaporize some of the oil on the cylinder walls, this is where the oil vapor comes from, oil squirting out of bearings and valve train is not a "vapor" it settles out of the air fairly quickly.

In "the old days" there was just a tube on the lower block or upper oil pan that pointed down at the ground, blow-by pressure exited out this tube, and with it the oil vapor.
So this tube had a constant drip of oil on to the roads and driveways.

PCV was added to stop this constant dripping, PCV is operated by engine vacuum.
On a carb engine the PCV Valve hose was in the base plate(below throttle plate).
Engine vacuum is highest at idle and blow-by is lowest at idle, so the PCV Valve has a "reverse valve" that passes less air at idle and more air at higher RPMs.
So at high vacuum the valve is sucked in reducing air flow into intake, as vacuum decreases with higher RPM a spring pushes the valve open more so more air is pulled in to the intake.
The Vent hose is there to equalize pressure, older systems just had a vented oil filler cap.
Pretty simple system, if all the parts work.

For the Vent to be sending oil out the PCV system could be clogged up so blow-by pressure is exiting out the Vent.
Or the Vent hose baffle could be bad or missing, this allows splashed oil from valve train to exit out the Vent.

If any are really old, like me, lol, you may remember the "drive carefully after the first rain" saying, it is still partly true today but it was very true 40 years ago.
After a dry spell all the blow-by oil was on the roads, especially at stop lights/signs where cars would sit for a bit, idling.
Oil floats on water.............
When it rained the oil would come off the roads and spread out so when you would come to a stop light/sign it was like driving on ice, wheels locked up and you would just slide, same on some corners.
After a few days of rain most of the oil was carried over to the side of the road, depending on it's slope, but until then there were quite a few rear enders and slides

Still true today but not nearly as bad, cars can still leak oil from oil pans and valve covers.
But before PVC every car and truck on the road left a bit of oil, that's EVERY one.

PCV also does not effect performance, in fact racers play with the pressure, some believe lower pressure in crank case creates less resistance for piston coming down on power stroke, so more power is the result, others think neutral pressure is best so up and down of pistons has neutral effect on one another, results are mixed, but one thing is agreed on, PCV is better than no PCV.

If you have lots of oil vapor then in most cases your rings are loosening up so compression is lower and that does effect performance, the burning of the oil vapor won't effect performance until compression drops too much, but blue smoke out the exhaust is usually from failing Intake Valve Guide seals, not PCV air being burn, valve guide seals leaking is way more common than rings failing.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Keep close tabs on the oil level. I would expect more blowby until the rings seated. My first BMW would soak the air filter with condensed fumes. It did it for over 200K :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals