• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cargo light

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an old wallyworld fog light that survived the rollover of my Jeep laying around that I want to put inside my cap to use as a cargo light. I heard somewhere that there's an always on wire you can tap into on the towing wire harness but I'm not sure. Anybody know if this is true and if so which one?

Also how safe would it be to use heavy duty 12-gauge speaker wire to power the fog in the bed? It won't be used for extended periods of time. I have a whole spool of it laying around and if I can get by with it I'd save some cash....

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 12 gauge wire should do the job just fine and also you have no need to wire it up thru a towing wire.

What you need is a relay, then you wire the rest of the relay up normally but when it comes to hooking it up to the relay source you will want to get a wiring diagram of the dimmer switch (cause you know how you turn it all the way to the right and it turns on your cab light/other cargo light?) so that when you turn on the cab light the fog light will also turn on. You will also want to run it through a switch that you can turn on and off so if you use the cab light it won't turn on the extra light and blind people while you drive or piss em off.

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The reason I want to run it off the towing harness is because it's already in the bed so if it can be used I wont have to run a long piece of wire, use a relay, or drill any holes. I planned to just put a heavy duty switch in the bed next to the light to operate it. Would this work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals