• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need more help quick!

tippykid98cztom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
origional post: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80333

gave it another shot trying to get my relay to work for my 4 hella 500w lights. i tested it with a meeter. it has a good ground, it has constant power, and when i flip the switch there is power to that pole on the relay. only pole that dosent show any power is the load which is to my lights. i tryed 2 relays and its the same with both. what is the problem? or how can i test the relay.

I just looked at my fuseblock that the #30 wire whick is constant power runs to and the fuse was blown. I put another 40 amp fuse in and fliped the switch. it took about 4 seconds then blew the fuse. what do I do?

Last edited:

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
origional post: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80333

gave it another shot trying to get my relay to work for my 4 hella 500w lights. i tested it with a meeter. it has a good ground, it has constant power, and when i flip the switch there is power to that pole on the relay. only pole that dosent show any power is the load which is to my lights. i tryed 2 relays and its the same with both. what is the problem? or how can i test the relay.

I just looked at my fuseblock that the #30 wire whick is constant power runs to and the fuse was blown. I put another 40 amp fuse in and fliped the switch. it took about 4 seconds then blew the fuse. what do I do?
Surely thats a typo. By my caculations that kind of load is pulling around 140 amps! If thats the case no wonder your popping fuses. Try hooking one up at a time to see what happens.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
are they double pole double tthrow relays or dp single throw relays? dpdt will ease the load on the battery/circuit alot more than a dpst

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
oh, almost forgot, try running thicker gauge wire, a relay per light, and straight to the battery with an inline fuse

tippykid98cztom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just hooked one up at a time. it did good with one light then i hooked up 2 lights and the fuse blew so maybe a relay for each light?

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Well, a 500W bulb would be pulling 41.67A @ 12VDC. So your wiring HAS to be heavy enough to handle 50A minimum, as well your relays MUST be able to handle 50A load.

It is doubtful your battery charge will last long and your alternator will have an issue trying to keep up with the load of all of those on at any one time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals