• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help my truck failed the new Fuel Evap Smog Test

overseaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 B2300
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently took my truck in to get it smogged so i can renew my registration, and due to a new (california) smog test as of December 1st 2007 failed me.

It was the Fuel Evap Test.
(they told me its not holding the pressure or might be a slow leak.

What is this usually? Is there any possibility of it being the Evap canister?
Or what hoses should i be on the lookout for? I have about 60 Days left to re-smog it, but my registration is due in less than a month.

How can I check for this, or is that even possible.

Thanks, the specs are below:

1994 Mazda B2300
2.3L 4Cyl. 5-speed
123,000 Miles
Runs Strong!

Black Widow '90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i'm sooooooooooooooooooo glad i live in Northern Michigan and dont have to deal with those tests, sorry bro but i hear about this all the time and it sounds like a pain in the *ss

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe? I would check all the lines(fuel to and from engine) and the evap canister. In mine I think its called a carbon canister and looks like someone peeled off the label of creamed corn and stuck some hoses to it. Might not be the samething?

If you can't get help here i would say bring it to a shop and have them do it cause it would probably save alot of hassle.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
might sound dumb but what about a gas cap?

overseaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 B2300
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, evap canister/carbon canister i meant the same thing.

It's not a gas cap issue, thats of a similar nature, but for this new test they actually remove your gas cap and screw on a test cap that they hook their machine up to.

I think im gona try replacing the filler neck and maybe the charcoal canister, if that could leak.

overseaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 B2300
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i was able to get it to pass smog luckily.

I've had no time lately for anything so i figured before trying to replace things at least find the source of the leak, so i let a shop with a smoke machine locate the leak, that was $85.

They said it was up above the gas tank so they'd have to remove/replace the fuel @ $45 and then drop and reinstall the tank @ $200 plus the parts.

Glad i didn't have them do it, i paid the 85, went home and 15 minutes later had the bed of my truck off.

I found the leak right away, it was the Rubber filler neck that goes between the tank and the gas cap. It was old cracking at the base. The dealer wanted $340 + Tax for a new one!!! I also found one on eBay for $120, but what a rip for something that should be almost as cheap as a radiator hose.

I decided against buying one and used some rubber hose cement and an inner tube and clamps to fix it temporarily for now.

At least that made it pass smog, and since they cant see it they didn't fail me on visual inspection. Here's another case where im glad i didn't pay a shop to fix it, it would have cost well over $710. when i fixed it for around $175.. since i also chose to put on new fuel lines.

Good for another two years!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dude, dont ever go back to that shop, Thats a friggen rip off. 45 bucks just to drain and refill the tank, thats a heapin load of bull hockey, and 200 to take the tank out is an even bigger pile of bull hockey. No wonder people dont like mechanics anymore, because of cheats like that.

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Defective Fuel filler hose

I just went through this with my Lincoln failing the new Cali Evap test. It was a bad hose on the canister.
I have posted about bad filler hoses on rangers here on TRS in the past. there is a design flaw in them from that factory. Ford knows this but wont make them correctly. I have replaced this hose twice on my 95 Ranger since 2001 last time i bought one it listed for $230 in '06 or early '07 but I get 20-25% off that from my dealer. All the dealers in Saramento carry 2-3 hoses in stock all the time.
I have also notified NHTSA TWICE about this Fire/Emmisions hazzard, but they wern't interested in it. (When the hose gets so bad it will leak gas out when you are filling that tank up.):pissedoff:

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just went through this with my Lincoln failing the new Cali Evap test. It was a bad hose on the canister.
I have posted about bad filler hoses on rangers here on TRS in the past. there is a design flaw in them from that factory. Ford knows this but wont make them correctly. I have replaced this hose twice on my 95 Ranger since 2001 last time i bought one it listed for $230 in '06 or early '07 but I get 20-25% off that from my dealer. All the dealers in Saramento carry 2-3 hoses in stock all the time.
I have also notified NHTSA TWICE about this Fire/Emmisions hazzard, but they wern't interested in it. (When the hose gets so bad it will leak gas out when you are filling that tank up.):pissedoff:
Mine did the same thing except I paid $245 and did it myself. Mine is due smog test in April and I should pass.

FYI. The fuel evap test is done with the cap off because the machine adapter attaches to the filler opening. My daughters 22 year old tbird just passed. The cap is tested separately.

Rarasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep... I have the same problem. I'll def try the rubber glue and innertube thing now that I've thought about it. I was going to try Marine grade fuel line but the glue sounds easier for now and I'll fix it the right way when I save a few more $..
Nice idea Overseaz!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info overseaz!

I'm going to go have mine done very shortly since it's running great right now and I need to know the problem areas I should look at. I hope I get a free retest if it fails.

Allen

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
durn emissions testing... here at least on obdll vehicles if it isn't throwing a code it passes...

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Shouldn’t this part be considered part of the emission system and covered under warrantee?

tbars

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
...The new "Evap Test" in California test your 95-earlier "Evap System" by pumping nitrogen in the gas tank at 35#, and seeing if it holds pressure...The fuel filler hose on rangers and X's seems to be a common failure item...

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shouldn’t this part be considered part of the emission system and covered under warrantee?
That emmisions warranty on my 95 expired at 75,000 miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals