• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To Properly Drain & Change Power Steering Fluid?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

I recently picked up a 1992 Ranger 4.0 w/A4LD trans. The truck was neglected by its previous owner, so I’m changing all of the old nasty fluids. One thing I’m unsure of is how to properly drain and replace the power steering fluid. My concern is that if I disconnect the lines to drain it all out (or use a suction pump to empty most of the fluid from the reservoir), that I’ll somehow get air into the lines that I won’t be able to bleed off. :icon_confused:

Any advice? Thoughts on proper bleeding procedures after the drain or flush are also most welcome. Thanks! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Use a suction pump to drain the res as far as you can, then disconnect the return line, stick it in a bucket, and start the engine. For like two seconds. Then reconnect the return line and refill it.

You will get a ton of air in the lines. Bleeding it is pretty easy though. You start the engine after refilling it, for two more seconds, shut it down, top it off, then start it again and add fluid slowly. Once it stops going down turn the wheel side to side about 25 times, or until the pump mostly stops whining. After that if there is any air left it will bleed itself out in normal driving.

The PS system isn't like the brakes or the clutch where it is a closed 1-way system. It is a loop, with the fluid constantly circulating, like the cooling system, so any air in it will eventually work its way to the top and come out.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Use a suction pump to drain the res as far as you can, then disconnect the return line, stick it in a bucket, and start the engine. For like two seconds. Then reconnect the return line and refill it.

You will get a ton of air in the lines. Bleeding it is pretty easy though. You start the engine after refilling it, for two more seconds, shut it down, top it off, then start it again and add fluid slowly. Once it stops going down turn the wheel side to side about 25 times, or until the pump mostly stops whining. After that if there is any air left it will bleed itself out in normal driving.

The PS system isn't like the brakes or the clutch where it is a closed 1-way system. It is a loop, with the fluid constantly circulating, like the cooling system, so any air in it will eventually work its way to the top and come out.
Ah, thanks once again, adsm08. I knew someone on here would have the right answer. :icon_thumby:

I owe you one... or three. :beer:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could also do what I do.

Step 1) Wait for it to start leaking.

Step 2) Don't fix the leak because steering parts and alignments are expensive, PS fluid is cheap to free.

Step 3) Let system flush itself, top off periodically.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could also do what I do.

Step 1) Wait for it to start leaking.

Step 2) Don't fix the leak because steering parts and alignments are expensive, PS fluid is cheap to free.

Step 3) Let system flush itself, top off periodically.
Hey, adsm08. Sorry to bug you again, but what fluid should I use in the steering pump on that truck (’92 Ranger)? The trans is supposed to take Mercon Multi-purpose Fluid (I picked up some Valvoline DEX/MERC Full Synthetic at Advance, which I think will be okay), but it looks like I need Ford Type F trans fluid for the power steering? http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/fluids_and_capacities.shtml

Thanks, man.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, you are supposed to use Type F in the old PS pump.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Sweet, man. Thanks. I assume that this will be okay to use for Type F: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-oil-fluids-type-f-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-1-quart-cq410/8130010-P?searchTerm=Type+F+Fluid.

Any idea how much I’ll need to perform the flush that you described? Maybe two quarts, just to be safe?

You’ve helped me out on so many threads lately and I want you to know that I REALLY appreciate it!!! :icon_thumby: I’m rehabbing an old girl that was neglected by her previous owner and I really want to get things right the first time. Cheers. :beer:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Hey, man. Which one’s the feed and which the return?

Thanks!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pressure it threaded, return is clamped.

Your return is the one on the bottom, going straight up and down.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
on the fords with the retarded pumps like the earlier rangers...i cap the return port and put the return line in a bucket...i have a coolant hose that fits over the fill neck and extends it up above the engine...load it with fluid, and dump two quarts through while the engine is running......usually walmart power steering bullshit but atf is fine..

then i got sick of the noisy pos and went to the sag pump.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
on the fords with the retarded pumps like the earlier rangers...i cap the return port and put the return line in a bucket...i have a coolant hose that fits over the fill neck and extends it up above the engine...load it with fluid, and dump two quarts through while the engine is running......usually walmart power steering bullshit but atf is fine..

then i got sick of the noisy pos and went to the sag pump.
Hey, bobbywalter. I’m curious about your method. When you say that you cap the return port, I assume that you mean the little nipple on the bottom of the plastic pump reservoir, right? By fill neck, do you mean the large fill tube on the pump reservoir? Just curious as to why you’d need a hose to extend that above the engine instead of dumping the ATF right into the reservoir neck itself. Sorry to be so thick about this.

By the way, can you enlighten me on what the sag pump is? I’ve heard other members here complaining that they’ve tried to replace their pumps numerous times, only to have the whine persist. It’s part of why I’ve put off just replacing it.

Thanks, man! :icon_thumby:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Saginaw pump info here LINK

If you replace it and still get some whine after bleeding and driving it, you can also vacuum bleed this system to get the last bit of air out. I just did this on a 3.0 Taurus and have zero whine.(Well, as zero as it can get on these shitty Ford pumps)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
my method with the hose is to keep me from airing the pump off. holds about a quart over stock so you have time to start it, and you stand there with the other quart and feed the whiny little goblin...when it gobbles it down to the reservoir cap area, shut it down and hook the return up.....i work alone generally so its what i do.

the factory truck steering box you will never get one of those turds to stay air free and shut the fawk up....unless you are 2wd with tiny tires and drive real easy. you go 4 wheelin and beat on it....gonna whine.

with a rack, they can run pretty quiet in a car for sure....... but big tires and wheelin....its gonna groan and moan....

the saginaw pump...or better yet a saginaw pump and chevy 2wd box work pretty good.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, bobbywalter. Thanks again. Hard to believe that there’s not a Ford or aftermarket pump out there that’s made for these trucks (without modification like the Sag requires) that doesn’t whine. But that being the case, I’d like to at least try your method, as I can never seem to get two days off in a row from work to do the mod. I probably won’t get anywhere, but for the cost of two quarts of Type F, I’ll give it a shot.

So again, if I understand you properly, you put a cap (large vacuum cap, maybe?) over the plastic “nipple” on the bottom of the reservoir that connects to the return line. Then you take the return line (still attached to the steering box) and place it in a bucket, jug, etc. Fill the coolant hose attached to the neck of the reservoir up top, fill her up, start the truck, and keep feeding until you run out of fluid and the reservoir is still full, but not overflowing, then reconnect the return line to the bottom of the reservoir. Is that right?

PS - “whiney little goblin” describes mine to a “T.” lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals