• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

intake and head reinstall

Red Lipstick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We are reinstalling the heads and intake on a 96 4.0 Ford. Is it absolutely necessary to install both the heads and the intake at the same time and tighten like the book says. Or, can the heads be done and the motor put back in the truck, then do the intake?

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
*disclaimer: follow the book. They do that for proper fit. The 4.0 eats away at its intakes and is a pain about them. (done like 5!)
I can't see why you in theory couldn't if you insisted. , you can do just the intake and not pop the heads, and the heads are on dowels. The other engines in the family don't do that either...

Maybe torque down with the old intake gasket, then replace just it later?

But like I said, the book has it for a reason.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

I have done 4.0ls a few times, I have always installed the heads first, then the intake afterwards, so no problems there.

One heads up, the 4.0l intake bolts have very little torque ft/lbs and are known to loosen up over time which can cause a vacuum leak.
I think this is one of the reasons for Fords installation technique, as that would tend to clamp the intake down a little more.
But since this loosening of the bolts is a common issue even when engine was newer I can't see it as a 100% method :)

So when installing the intake use some loctite on the bolts, never had a repeat of loose bolts using that method and specified ft/lbs

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals