• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tranny stuck in first and second

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone this is my first post on this forum and my first day as a member but i have used the info throughout this site to assist me in a lot of repairs and concerns. My problem right now is unique and I cant't seem to find a thread that helps.
My tranny in my 1997 3.0 ranger had bad syncros and was grinding like crazy so i bought a used one from the wrecker out of a low mileage truck with front end damage, so i think its safe to assume the tranny should be fine. when i bought it it had no gear shift lever, neither upper or lower so i swapped my old one into it. now my problem is if i drop the lever straight in i can shift from third to fourth no problem, if i push the lever over I can shift first and second no problem, but i can't go back into neutral in the middle, so I'm essentially stuck with first, neutral between first and second, and second. I'm wondering if the lower gear shift lever is a bit to big or short.
I used a screw driver and was able to move all three sliders back and forth last night. I hope my rambling made sense and someone knows how to help me!
Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure all sliders are lined up side to side and centered front to back before installing shifter.

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
yep all three are aligned! so when I drop the lever in it goes into the middle slider (3rd/4th?) and I can shift between them. then I can pull the top left and forward (1st) and then down (2nd) but can't go back to the right for 3rd and 4th again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yep all three are aligned! so when I drop the lever in it goes into the middle slider (3rd/4th?) and I can shift between them. then I can pull the top left and forward (1st) and then down (2nd) but can't go back to the right for 3rd and 4th again.
Welcome to TRS :)

You have an M5OD-R1 transmission

So after you go to 1st or 2nd and then move it back to neutral it won't go sideways?
And if you remove the shifter again you can reset it?
And what do you need to do to reset it, i.e. move the 3/4 shift rail back to center/neutral?
Could be the 3/4 shift rail is moving slightly out of alignment when in 1/2, not sure what would cause that

I think the M5OD-R1 shifter for the 3.0l engines was the same until end of that engine in Rangers, 2008, but not 100% sure.

The M5OD-R1HD was only for 4.0l SOHC engines and it did have a different shifter, but that trans won't bolt to a 3.0l

Last edited:

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission wasn't in neutral when pulled. So the shifter is pushing things out of alignment. You have to use a screwdriver to get it in neutral and probably rock the wheels a bit to get the gears 100% disengaged then recheck. Then it should bolt up. The rails are out of alignment is the issue. I stole this from another thread, should look like this https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ob7gex1bvt007ox/AAAu1XY2DBCxDQDj9Nmocc0Da?dl=0#

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Yea RonD that's exactly it. In order to reset it is have to use a screw driver to pull the 1/2 rail back into neutral. Yea Paul I did do that but as soon as I put the shifter back in and move it to 1/2 it won't move side ways. I'm wondering if maybe a the bushings are worn so it's pushing the shift lever down to far? Could that be?
Thanks for all the replies guys

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I just tested the shift lever in both trannys. In the old one it sits on the bushing, in the 'new' one it sits on the rail and doesn't touch the bushing. I tried swapping bushings but same thing. So this must mean that there are two different length shift levers for these trannys right?

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you are in-between gears. You need to put it in neutral and turn the driveline a bit to get it all the way into neutral. Like have you ever had to let out some clutch to get first/reverse? Similar thing. The shift rods are aligned but the gears actually are not. Like I said rock it a bit. There's also a chance an old bushing is in there (unlikely).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just tested the shift lever in both trannys. In the old one it sits on the bushing, in the 'new' one it sits on the rail and doesn't touch the bushing. I tried swapping bushings but same thing. So this must mean that there are two different length shift levers for these trannys right?
I would say yes from what you described, but I never read of that for a 3.0l M5OD-R1, do you know the year of the 2nd transmission?

There is a lower 1/2 to the bushing with shims/washers under it, are parts missing or broken?

Good look here at the shifter setup: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.shtml

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Okay Paul I'll check that again when I get home. I'm not sure of the exact year of the second tranny its from a 93-97 though. So Ron you mean there's a bushing inside the tranny for first and second?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool! I'll check back! I more meant that thier could be an old piece of washer or something in there. I've had the wavy washer on imports disintegrate.

This is the head scratcher :icon_confused:

It may be it's not neutral at all, but the clutch they are the dickens to bleed right and if it isn't releasing fully it'll lock out gears?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay Paul I'll check that again when I get home. I'm not sure of the exact year of the second tranny its from a 93-97 though. So Ron you mean there's a bushing inside the tranny for first and second?

Look at the last drawing in that link, it shows the shims/washers then the lower bushing, these are all accessible with just the shifter out.

If some were missing the shifter would drop down too far and hit shift rails as you described

shiitakeTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the delayed response but I did resolve the problem. I went to the wrecker and pulled 4 different shift towers before I found the correct one in an 87 ranger with a 2.0l. I don't know how to upload pics or I would show you all. The tranny is smooth as butter now. Thanks a lot for all your help and I look forward to hanging out on this forum

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals