• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

p0500 help

integrx18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been messing with my 97 ranger 4x4 4.0l automatic for about a week now. the speedometer originally stopped working. then I noticed the dome lights and wipers went as well. I found an identical gem module. everything went back to working correctly except the speedometer. I did some testing and found that the ground to the vss on the transfer case was bad and ran a new ground wire directly to the vss. now the speedometer works fine but im getting a p0500 and when I plug in my scan tool I get no vehicle speed reading. I tested the grey and black wire at the pcm and it has ac voltage the coordinates with the voltage right at the sensor. I test the rear abs speed sensor and have 1157 ohms from the sensor unplugged. I cant find what kind of readings I should get coming from the sensor on the two wires that come from the connector on that rear abs speed sensor in the rear diff. the red wire gives me a reading that higher ac voltage with speed . green wire does nothing. any help? I don't even know if the rear sensor would give a p0500. please help im going nuts.

integrx18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
? Hellllp please

nobody can help me out here? im trying to sell the truck and have spent about 3 days testing things. someone has to have some idea? is there any reason other than the vss and signal that can cause the p0500? I cant believe that the ecu could be faulty just for this. nothing else is wrong with the truck.

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the vss resistance should be 190-250. The abs doesn't feed your ecm on a 95. Because it had an open ground a bad vss or signal wire is a good guess from what you tested. Because it's obd1 the code means "sensor unseen" and not much else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals