• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od-r1hd Shifter issue

Teddlet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Howdy,

I've got an M5od-R1HD on my bench that came to me with the shifter in gear, I've put the stick back on it and it won't come out of whatever gear its in. In most of the walkthroughs/videos about pulling & working on the transmission it says to be sure to stick it in neutral before you pull it (guess the guys at whatever junkyard this came from didn't get the memo) but I'v not had luck finding a source that says what to do if that didn't happen. Before I go all Thor on this with a single jack anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out of gear?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove shifter again and then use a screw driver to slide each shift rail(3 of them) into their Neutral position, i.e. shifter slot on each rail is centered while looking down in the shifter hole.

Usually only 1 shift rail will be "in gear" so line it up with the other 2 that are in Neutral now.

If trans is installed with drive line connected you may need to relieve any pressure so you can "shift it out of gear", rock the truck back and forth, but make sure it doesn't roll away on you, lol, so block tire in downhill direction.
If out of the truck then turn input shaft a bit while pulling it out of gear.

It is of course better to put any manual trans in Neutral before pulling it out or replacing shifter bushings but it is not required, fairly easy fix to put it in neutral after the fact

Last edited:

Teddlet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting back the results :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals