• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Don't wanna kill myself

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a lost a radius arm bushing, my brackets are already on bolts; can I just loosen the nut, Yank forward the arm and replace them without jacking it up? I'm stuck without a tall enough jack.

I just don't know if I'm gonna crumple it. It's a 1991 4wd and I can't drive with the wheel moving back and forth...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was able to use a 2" ratchet strap to pull back the beam enough to get the arm out of the bracket. But this was without weight on the beam (no tire). I think you would be OK. If the arm moves up or down you can lever it back. I'm assuming you won't be a Darwins Award candidate... Be careful.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to avoid that which is why I'm asking. With a solid axle control arms don't hold weight, just not sure in ttb

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been a long time since I did this. IIRC there was little movement of the arm up or down. The little there was, was probably twist caused by tightening the ratchet strap. The whole weight of the front of the truck was resting on a very heavily built sawhorse. The strap was from a saw horse leg to the beam, parallel to the floor. There may be pics in the beginning of my racetruck build thread, link below.
Edit; I think about where the spring is, most if not all weight bearing will be on the main beam, not the control arm. So the arm shouldn't move much. Tho there could be twist induced by the swaybar if you only jack up one side.

Last edited:

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Solved. There's no weight on them, but they do turn up a bit and slight jacking makes it easier

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals