• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Explorer 4wd questions regarding 4x4 operation and issues Part 2

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Hiya Campers.

Continuing on with this 1995 Explorer.

4wd. It has the "ControlTrac" system.

I know there's a lot of info, but no one really has any solution listed. Either they gave up and walked away? Or they fixed it..and never updated.

At any rate:

Transfer case was changed out due to the output shaft bearing being roached. 4wd wouldn't really work, due to miss-match tire size and no speedo input, etc.. It's been like chasing down issues and going down that rabbit hole.

We reused the transfer case motor and sensors off the one from the U Pull yard. Same problem. 4low will kick in and function. 4AWD will initially engage..and then kick out after a few moments of driving.

And it does the 6 flashes of the lights on the dash auto 4wd and 4low...

I'm doing the cheap stuff first. So I picked up a different transfer case motor with the sensors. Also the harness. The harness on ours was mangled with a bunch of cobble repairs before and after the plug to the motor. So that will get changed out from the plug under the seat....to the transfer case. Should only have 1 splice (the one going to the inside of the case next to the output shaft)

I do not think this is the issue. I redid the connections under the truck and for the duration of testing, they are all 100%. But sense I detest soldering a whole bunch of wires and heat shrinking.... Sure 1 wire isn't a big deal. But 6 would kill my back.

Also noted we have NO trouble lights, other then the flashing 4wd lights. I've heard about the ABS sensors causing issues...The hall effect sensors on the transfer case causing problems... The vacuum servo on the front axle. (That last one seems fine?....But I will test if if needed.)

The truck also has a used GEM module. I noted the yellow junk yard paint marker. Looks like this has been an issue with the last owner...

For a 1995 GEM, I would imagine it couldn't be reprogrammed-As it's not an OBD II truck. I did locate a GEM out of a 1995. But the box stated "Automatic" and we have a "Standard". (or would this mean automatic 4wd?)

Just getting tired of cleaning up after someone elses mess. Looks like he (last owner) was having these issues...and was another thing he failed to clue us in on.

Truck runs good otherwise so far. Window motors are a bit flaky however. Been a few times they go down, and it takes a bit to get them up. (Is that controlled by the GEM?) I'd be willing to drop in a GEM from a 1995 Explorer, but the yard didn't have any of the correct year with a standard. Auto's they have a few of...

Suggestions always welcome..... Just trying to deal with it this week. I'm off for vacation to do maintenance on the wifes car (Timing belt and water pump on her Beetle) So I've got some free time to tinker.

S-

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Two places I'd look, the auto hubs and the 4x module. Where you at? Someone may have a known good one. I think maybe the 4 low is kicking off the hubs.

No lights tends to be the shift mechanism, so it might be the contact plates on the shift motor (the whole things gotta go)

Two places I'd start

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Two places I'd look, the auto hubs and the 4x module. Where you at? Someone may have a known good one. I think maybe the 4 low is kicking off the hubs.

No lights tends to be the shift mechanism, so it might be the contact plates on the shift motor (the whole things gotta go)

Two places I'd start
Think we might have this one solved. It's had a wiring splice nightmare for a while. I swapped out the harness from under the drivers seat (nice of them to allow an access 'slit' in the carpet...or that might have been the last owner trying to fiddle with it).

And at the same time we replaced the motor and the two sensors. It now engages. (This would be motor #3. One it came with....and I've bought 2 at the local yards) It stayed 'auto 4wd' for around a few blocks after the change over. Before it wouldn't stay engaged for longer then 30 seconds before shutting down with the 6 flashes of the lights on the dash.

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals