• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck won't start after new ignition coils.

Ogonz9494

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1992 ranger I4
Replaced ignition coils and truck starts but acts up and turns off, or just doesn't strart but cranks. Put old ignition coils back in and same thing. I thought it was just going to be a disconnect and plug new ones back in but I'm not sure what I'm missing?? Spark plugs are new so many I new to replace the wires from the spark plugs to the coil pack??
Anything helps thanks all the way from Houston Texas.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Just so we are on the same page, engine was running good and only started having this problem after you changed the coils, and problem stayed even after old coils were put back in?

In '92 the 2.3l used an ICM(ignition control module) located on the front side of the intake manifold.
The wiring connectors on these were troublesome, so check for worn or frayed wires there, simply installing the new coils could have pulled on these wires.
The ICM can be removed and taken to auto parts store, most stores can test these, call first.

Just an FYI and heads up, on the 2.3l only the exhaust side coil and spark plugs work when starter motor is cranking engine, intake side coil and plugs don't start working until RPMs are above 400.

Ogonz9494

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Just so we are on the same page, engine was running good and only started having this problem after you changed the coils, and problem stayed even after old coils were put back in?

In '92 the 2.3l used an ICM(ignition control module) located on the front side of the intake manifold.
The wiring connectors on these were troublesome, so check for worn or frayed wires there, simply installing the new coils could have pulled on these wires.
The ICM can be removed and taken to auto parts store, most stores can test these, call first.

Just an FYI and heads up, on the 2.3l only the exhaust side coil and spark plugs work when starter motor is cranking engine, intake side coil and plugs don't start working until RPMs are above 400.
Hey man thanks for the info. Yes engine was fine until i put the new coils on and tried starting it and then same problem when I put the old one back on. I'll check on the ICM and see if there's any connections loose if not I'll just go buy one. I have a friend that works for a ford dealership part department so I'm sure he can hook it up. Thanks again I'll look into it probly tomorrow.

Ogonz9494

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ron D just wanted to let you know I took the ICM to oriellys and got it tested and it was bad so I purchased a new one and truck started! Thanks man!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix :)

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Yes, thanks for posting the "Fix". A repair/troubleshooting tread is absolutely worthless without a solution being posted. Good Job!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals