• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking light problem

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got ahead of myself on my race truck [1991 Ford Ranger 4.0/5spd 4x4] the other week and cut all the wires for lights from the front harness. I do have another harness but no time to install, racing starts tomorrow. Now I find out I need park/running and brake lights for a new series that I'm starting to race in. I wanted to use the factory tail light wiring and just buy a "plug in simple" t-connector to connect to lights at the top of the cab and still have the option to use the factory light housings if I choose. I have brakes, turn signals, and 4-ways, but no park lights. The headlight switch hasn't been connected for years. I found one in my parts pile and hooked it up. I seemed to be getting park lights for a little bit but it may have been that I was using a later year harness because when I found the correct harness I didn't get park lights. I checked the fuses, all good. Is their a relay? Does the fact I cut the front wiring out affect the rear? Anyway...... What should I look for?
Thanks,
Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just chased a bunch of connections under the dash for something silly but related. The front cut would do it because they run through the switch then back out. So front to switch to front and back and the circuit is always hot (right of the battery to all lights). Mine ended up being rotten plugs.

Because you had then then lost them it may just be that or a fuse

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no relay on 1991

Ford has use Brown wire for Parking lights for many many years.

Front and rear parking lights used different Grounds so cutting front wires wouldn't effect rear Ground, make sure Brown wires at the front are not shorted.

If rear parking lights share brake light ground then that should be good but test parking light bulb socket just to be sure of a good ground.

There should be two Brown wires at the light switch, one for the front and one for the rear, although there may just be one with a splice near by.

The Tan/white stripe wire at the light switch is the Power wire from the fuse

Fuse------(tan/white)---------switch------------(brown)------------parking lights---(black)----Ground

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can sort it at the track.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals