• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Ranger Wont Crank

The Fordsaken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
99 Ford Ranger 2wd v6 3.0 L Flex
I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and after getting everything back together, doesn't crack. I checked the battery cables, tested the battery, and tested the solenoid. Everything good there so I checked to make sure I didn'the miss any cables to the transmission. No loose or disconnected wires. I have headlights and dash but sounds like the battery dead when trying to crank. I thought this would have been a weekend job at most but its extended to two months.
Anybody have any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 Ranger 3.0l will have the PATS anti-theft system, which does have a starter motor cut off relay, but anti-theft light should be flashing rapidly if that was the problem and you don't mention that.

So assume a wiring problem.
In '99 Battery Positive cable should run directly to starter motor, and then there will be a smaller wire connected to smaller terminal on starter motor, this smaller wire is the "starter" wire that gets 12volts when you turn the key to START, it is a Yellow/blue stripe wire.
This activates the solenoid on the starter motor which pushes starter gear out and connects larger Battery Cable to the start motor.

The fender relay is just power distribution now, not part of the start circuit.

In the cab fuse box find and check fuse #24, 7.5amp, this powers the Starter relay in the Engine fuse box, but this power passes thru the Clutch pedal switch, so clutch pedal must be down all the way for this power to pass thru to the relay.

In the engine fuse box you will find the starter relay, it should "click" when you turn key to start.
This relay is part of PATS.

When relay "clicks" 12volts is sent out on Yellow/blue wire to the starter motor to activate it.

Or just check your Ground cable to the engine :)
Make sure it got hooked back up

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Clutch safety switch is something most people overlook too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals