• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing mustang with 02' 4.0 SOHC Auto??

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's going to ride like a lumber wagon. And with the right amount of tongue weight, or a WD hitch, there won't be that much extra weight on the tires. Also, with the heavier tires, his gas mileage will suffer. I already had horrible MPG's when I was hauling my Cobra and stuff back.
First, I've done it and they don't ride bad. They are better because the sidewall is stiffer and the rear doesn't squirrel around.

Next, a WD hitch isn't safe if you don't need it. It unloads the rear tires of the truck. It can screw with the anti-lock brakes and some owner's manuals tell you not to use it. It's great if you are unloading the front axle. A gooseneck trailer is better for that though. For those who don't know what an equalizer does--it tries to close the bottom of the truck and trailer together like a jack-knife, with the hitch being the hinge. It directly unloads the rear tires of the truck because they are close to the hinge. If the rear tires don't need to be unloaded, then it isn't safe or proper to unload them.

That's why I recommended a sway control device as a solution for an unstable feeling trailer. A sway control is a friction device that resists a pivot motion of the hitch. It really helps to keep the trailer in a straight line behind the truck. These are generally included on equalizer setups, but are easily added to a trailer that doesn't have an equalizer. A trailer with 10-15% of tongue-weight, and that doesn't have an unusual amount of mass behind the trailer axle doesn't need it. Travel trailers are built in an unregulated industry--they claim self regulated. The fact is, these devices are for crutching improper tow setups. You don't see stuff like this on commercial trucks.

Set your truck up correctly and have zero issues. That's the bottom line.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First, I've done it and they don't ride bad. They are better because the sidewall is stiffer and the rear doesn't squirrel around.

Next, a WD hitch isn't safe if you don't need it. It unloads the rear tires of the truck. It can screw with the anti-lock brakes and some owner's manuals tell you not to use it. It's great if you are unloading the front axle. A gooseneck trailer is better for that though. For those who don't know what an equalizer does--it tries to close the bottom of the truck and trailer together like a jack-knife, with the hitch being the hinge. It directly unloads the rear tires of the truck because they are close to the hinge. If the rear tires don't need to be unloaded, then it isn't safe or proper to unload them.

That's why I recommended a sway control device as a solution for an unstable feeling trailer. A sway control is a friction device that resists a pivot motion of the hitch. It really helps to keep the trailer in a straight line behind the truck. These are generally included on equalizer setups, but are easily added to a trailer that doesn't have an equalizer. A trailer with 10-15% of tongue-weight, and that doesn't have an unusual amount of mass behind the trailer axle doesn't need it. Travel trailers are built in an unregulated industry--they claim self regulated. The fact is, these devices are for crutching improper tow setups. You don't see stuff like this on commercial trucks.

Set your truck up correctly and have zero issues. That's the bottom line.
I don't know why people here think you need E tires on such a small truck. There's so little weight back there to begin with, the rear axle is only rated for what, 2700 pounds to begin with? Stock "P" rated tires are for 2200 pounds a piece. I don't see having 12000 pounds of tire capacity for a truck that max gross is at 5700 pounds or so.

Wrong on the WD hitch.

It only transfers as much weight as the USER sets it up. And with a normal bumper pull, the more tongue weight, the less weight over the front tires due to the change in leverage. A WD does what the name says, distributes the weight, and if properly used, with allow the truck to be loaded evenly across the front and rear truck axles.

Sway control, ESPECIALLY the kind you say, are more of a band aid than a WD hitch.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't want to load the truck evenly over the front axle. The front axle, with the truck empty, is near its load capacity. Go weigh your truck. You will find that the front weighs around 2,500# empty. It's about a 2,750# axle--same as the rear. The rear of the truck is 1,100# empty, about. The payload is designed to be carried almost entirely by the rear axle. This is true for any truck. Look at a straight truck, school bus, motorhome from the side and you will see that the rear axle is centered under the cargo area. A WD hitch is to crutch up a passenger vehicle pulling too much trailer.

The sway control I described has nothing to do with trailer loading. I used one on my 2,500# Casita because the air blast from trucks and uneven roads would knock it around. An $80 friction sway control stops that. The rear of the truck isn't sagging, throwing the unloaded front out of alignment and causing darty steering. You don't need $500 worth of hitch when your not overloading your vehicle. Those things were designed for a squishy old station wagon pulling an Airstream. I pull a 10,000# pintle trailer with my pickup and it's not overloaded and it has no problems with control--and it's got probably 2,000# of tongue weight because the machines I put on it don't have enough room to ride in an ideal spot.

I'm saying load the trailer correctly and you're truck is not going to have trouble with a 4,500# trailer and you shouldn't need anything special. Any sway you get will be because the tongue weight is excessive so you have to watch loading. It costs $8 to wiegh your truck at a truckstop--just bring a broom stick to push the button when you drive onto the scale or they won't know you are out there.

Last edited:

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You don't want to load the truck evenly over the front axle. The front axle, with the truck empty, is near its load capacity. Go weigh your truck. You will find that the front weighs around 2,500# empty. It's about a 2,750# axle--same as the rear. The rear of the truck is 1,100# empty, about. The payload is designed to be carried almost entirely by the rear axle. This is true for any truck. Look at a straight truck, school bus, motorhome from the side and you will see that the rear axle is centered under the cargo area. A WD hitch is to crutch up a passenger vehicle pulling too much trailer.

The sway control I described has nothing to do with trailer loading. I used one on my 2,500# Casita because the air blast from trucks and uneven roads would knock it around. An $80 friction sway control stops that. The rear of the truck isn't sagging, throwing the unloaded front out of alignment and causing darty steering. You don't need $500 worth of hitch when your not overloading your vehicle. Those things were designed for a squishy old station wagon pulling an Airstream. I pull a 10,000# pintle trailer with my pickup and it's not overloaded and it has no problems with control--and it's got probably 2,000# of tongue weight because the machines I put on it don't have enough room to ride in an ideal spot.

I'm saying load the trailer correctly and you're truck is not going to have trouble with a 4,500# trailer and you shouldn't need anything special. Any sway you get will be because the tongue weight is excessive so you have to watch loading. It costs $8 to wiegh your truck at a truckstop--just bring a broom stick to push the button when you drive onto the scale or they won't know you are out there.
Yes, the front axle is close to max when even empty. But as I said, when you put weight onto the tongue, it lifts the front of the truck, and it gets moved to the back wheels due to leverage.

The WD hitch maintains the weight on the front. The way it also works that some of the weight carrying gets transferred back to the trailer.

I did weigh my truck with the WD setup, and had close to the same front axle weight loaded and unloaded.

Those old wagons you talk about were the only things back in the day that could haul trailers. Trucks weren't nearly as heavy duty or as popular as they are today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals