• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford brake controllers for 06 F150

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I was thinking of getting a used Ford brake controller for my 06 F150. It works with Anti sway and ABS on the truck. So I called Ford since they have to turn it on in ECM. For 5 minutes of work they want $130-$240. What a rip off. Its hard to buy Ford parts when they charge that much to program it. This is where I got my info. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/brake-controller-16716/ . Now on a bright note Ford did wire these trucks up for a trailer package. It has all the wiring from dash to back of the truck. It took me an hour to install my after market controller because I had to firgure out where to put it. I have an after market head unit with a space below it so I stuck it in there. Easy to reach and use.

igiveup

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I was thinking of getting a used Ford brake controller for my 06 F150. It works with Anti sway and ABS on the truck. So I called Ford since they have to turn it on in ECM. For 5 minutes of work they want $130-$240. What a rip off. Its hard to buy Ford parts when they charge that much to program it. This is where I got my info. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/brake-controller-16716/ . Now on a bright note Ford did wire these trucks up for a trailer package. It has all the wiring from dash to back of the truck. It took me an hour to install my after market controller because I had to firgure out where to put it. I have an after market head unit with a space below it so I stuck it in there. Easy to reach and use.

igiveup
That does seem a bit extreme.

You must own something other than a ford and you are trying to make ford look bad. :D

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

All I own is Fords. I do own a Honda trike. Knowing me if Ford came out with a three wheeler then I would have it.

igiveup

brianjwilson

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So are you saying you installed an integrated brake controller that comes with late model trucks in your 2006? If so, I'd be interested to see some pictures and hear more about it.

I installed a prodigy controller, quick plug and plug with a harness and have been very happy with the controller in other applications as well. I mounted mine near my right knee, plenty of space.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I did not get the Ford one. Its $450+ for the unit and the stealership wants $120-$240 to turn it on. The reasons I wanted it in the first place was saftey. It works with the ABS and Anti sway on the truck. I went with an aftermarket myself.

igiveup

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've done those installs before. I don't know why they are trying to charge you that much for it. When I did it I got .5 to do it, that comes out to about $40 US in labor. Its not hard, you yank the little cubby-hole in the dash, bolt the TBC in its place, plug it in, and then use the IDS (Ford's proprietary scanner) to tell the IC module it's installed.

You go to "module programming" "IC" "Personality" and then there is an option for "TBC Installed?" and you click it to change it from no to yes, and bingo, it works....

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology has an ASSET program. If you really want the Ford TBC, go get it, install it yourself, and then you might be able to go down there and get them to turn it on for you for cheap. Most instructors I know wouldn't turn down the teaching opportunity as long as the school's insurance allows it. They are over in Calgary, not really sure how far that is from you, but here is their coordinator's contact info:

Tim Huston
Coordinator of Automotive Apprentice Programs
Transportation Department
tel: (403) 284-8209
fax: (403) 284-7164

He should be able to tell you if and when they could do that for you.

Last edited:

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When my Dad bought his 06 F250, it didn't have the factory controller, but the dealership installed it for the option price. I thought that was pretty nice.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I did one once, the guy wanted it but we didn't have one in stock that had it installed and the guy said that you can put it in as a DIA, our sales manager (ever the duffus that he is) didn't believe the guy and made a bet with him...

Said if he could bring back proof that it could be done the sales department would pay for the module and the labor to install and activate it. The guy drove off in his truck, hooked up his Reese unit, came back a week later with the instructions for the Ford TBC install, and won the bet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals