• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing E-Brake Lines

Scettles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So about a year ago my left rear wheel wouldn't disengage from the e-brake and it ended up tearing all the springs and everything in there to pieces. So I took it to a shop cause I couldn't get the wheel off by hand... they did and the replaced everything and went to tighten e brake cables up they said and that one would not release unless they hit the drum with a hammer. So they said I needed to replace that ebrake line. I didn't. They just unhooked and got the right side working and I had ebrake from that one wheel few a while. Now don't have anymore ebrake and I bought both lines new to replace them. I have done these brakes multiple times but never knew how to do the ebrake. Can someone give me a walk through of after installing the new line how to get it right and correctly tight and releasing correctly and what not.. 99 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 rear drum brakes.

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Working on this myself. Running the two rear lines is actually pretty easy. You have to remove the shoes and hardware (I did anyway). Get a pair of wire cutters and snip the four retaining prongs that hold the collar onto the drum backing plate. Then you just snake the cable through a few holes in the chassis to where they meet on the driver's side.

The two rears took me about 20 minutes each, not counting re-assembling the drums/hardware.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals