• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake upgrades on a '92?

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Have a question or two for those who have done brake swaps. Rebuilding my stock 92 regular cab 2wd and am thinking about the brakes. The stock single piston fronts and 9" drums work ok, but I'm curious if swapping my 9" drums for 10's is worth the effort? What about a 95-97 dual piston swap? At what point do you need to go with a different master cyl? I may end up keeping my original 14" wheels. Would they clear the 10's and dual pistons ok?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you don't have any complaints about your current brakes I don't know if I would bother.

I lucked out and the first 8.8 I found that was geared correctly happened to have disk brakes. And then a buddy called that they were cutting up their '95 parts truck and wanted to know if I wanted the D35 (and I was looking for a D35 anyway)

If I hadn't walked into them I wouldn't have sought them out... but I am not going to turn my back on dumb luck. :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger305:

10" brakes, especially with Aerostar drums probably provide the most braking force/pedal effort of any stock application ('10-11 vented rotors would be ultimate if you were racing and needed the faster recovery between stops which disks allow).

But if you don't: a. Swap master cylinder, b. have ABS, c. both; then in panic situation, especially if unladen, your truck will lock rear wheels. Which is an unsafe condition (back will then attempt to pass front....)

Rotors for dual piston calipers are ~15% thicker (1.023 versus .850) so absorb more heat = less fade. Dual piston calipers also allow moves to new Ranger 11.26" or Explorer Sport Trac 12.01" rotors with aftermarket brackets which are considerable improvement over the stock 10.26".

But as 85_Ranger4x4 indicates, if you are driving safely/defensively stock brakes are fine. It is substantial amount of effort unless you are doing ball joints/axles seals anyways....

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Ranger305:

10" brakes, especially with Aerostar drums probably provide the most braking force/pedal effort of any stock application ('10-11 vented rotors would be ultimate if you were racing and needed the faster recovery between stops which disks allow).

But if you don't: a. Swap master cylinder, b. have ABS, c. both; then in panic situation, especially if unladen, your truck will lock rear wheels. Which is an unsafe condition (back will then attempt to pass front....)

Rotors for dual piston calipers are ~15% thicker (1.023 versus .850) so absorb more heat = less fade. Dual piston calipers also allow moves to new Ranger 11.26" or Explorer Sport Trac 12.01" rotors with aftermarket brackets which are considerable improvement over the stock 10.26".

But as 85_Ranger4x4 indicates, if you are driving safely/defensively stock brakes are fine. It is substantial amount of effort unless you are doing ball joints/axles seals anyways....

temporary thread hijack,,,,could you elaborate some about the brackets?
I know about the 4wd knuckles, its 2wd that has my interest.

Perry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals