• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end binding in reverse and clunking when turning in forward

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, been a visitor many times before, but now I have an issue I need help with fast. Replaced the front rotors, pads, wheel bearings and wheel seals on my 94 Ranger STX 4x4 Dana 35. In the process of installing the new rotors, I converted my auto-hub lockers with a manual kit I had on my 95 parts truck. Everything went back together smoothly and I made sure that the manual lockers worked by locking them and watching the axle spin and making sure the axle didn't spin in the unlocked position. After putting the tires back on, I went to pull out of my garage and encountered resistance in reverse, like the brakes were bound up. Jacked it back up and spun the wheels no problem. Pulled out of the garage against the resistance and found that she go forward no problem, but clunks if I turn the wheel. Still resists going backwards. Parked it for the night and trying to do some research into this. i did notice that the pass/side lower ball joint had some play, but didn't have time for it today. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I would look into the parking brake cables( If you used them). I see a lot of the parking brake never gets used until something is worked on, then presto brake cable sticks and now there is a problem. Put the thing in park (Or 1st). With the parking brake released wiggle the parking brake cables. Try it after, may not be that but super comment thing up here in Maine in the rust belt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

When you jack up a front wheel are you jacking it up using frame, differential or lower ball joint area?
i.e. is the suspension full extended/hanging or in same position as it is on the ground when you tested spinning the wheels.

Just wondering if angle is an issue
If you haven't then I would jack up one wheel from ball joint area so tire is just barely off the ground and do the spin tests

In 2WD front hubs locked or unlocked shouldn't matter as far as rolling forward or backwards, just front axles and drive line turn or don't turn and not much resistance there.

Wheel bearings...... I assume you have done these before so wouldn't over tighten them and you used a locking washer that holds the retaining nut for the wheel bearings, if not nut can move and tighten up or loosen up which could cause binding in reverse and or a wobble when turning.

Good look here at the conversion you did from auto to manual: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.shtml

Loose lower ball joint will clunk a bit and cause bad tire wear and pulling to one side, but not binding in reverse.

E-brake is not a bad guess but usually that binds more going forward and not in reverse.

Last edited:

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Inner nut pin

I have done the wheel bearings before, torques the inner down to 35 ft lbs, backed off 90 degrees and then snugged it while turning the rotor opposite direction. I don't have an inch lb wrench so I guess at how snug it is. I did notice that the inner lock nut was missing it's pin but didn't really think it'd be such a pain, so I'll try replacing that. I set the jack and stands on the TTB arms near the lower ball joint. The clunking is new which was throwing me off, it almost sounded like tire clearance but couldn't find anywhere that was even close to touching. Thank you for replying, I'll see about replacing that inner nut and report back.

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Postponed until delivery

Hi guys, thanks again for the prompt replies and solution ideas. Unfortunately, my repair will have to wait until parts arrive as the local stores didn't have the replacement spindle nut w/ pin I needed. I will be doing the upper and lower ball joints at the same time and they arrive later in the month. yay Amazon.
As this is no longer a time sensitive repair I imagine the post will be moved. Wherever it ends up I will post the final result of the repairs for anyone else that runs into the same issue. Thanx again, look forward to asking advice again as I plan a 5.0 swap next year.

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the bearing lock nut that was missing the peg for the retaining ring to prevent it from moving, and that solved my reverse restriction. After closer inspection I found that my *slightly* larger tires did in fact rub on the bumper extension that housed the fog lights. Quick trim with a sawzall to round off the edge that was too close solved that. Now I just need to tackle some more off the to-do list. thanks alot again for the quick solution.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals