• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 2.9L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I want to update the 2.9 Page in the Technical Library in the coming month(s).

The page is a few years old and I'm not sure how accurate the info is anymore. If you have ANY suggestions as to what should be added, changed or deleted from the page, please post them here. This includes part numbers, names of manufacturers, links, custom modifications, know problems or even cheap tricks.

Thanks.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
What works and doesn't work to get power out of a 2.9

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
As the one with prolly more years experince with one 2.9 then anyone else here....i can safely say pretty much any known problems have been figured out already.

As far as power tricks....timing advance does work....but you have to run 89.

later,
Dustin

RangerAx

Reaction score
Alright..so here I am, my 89's been sittin in the garage for over a year with a broken driveshaft and a crapped head or two. My plan? to do everything possible to the 2.9, including those things from "How To Build & Modify...". The problem? funding..and a partially outdated material.
Now, I am not here to whine and beg for money ...this isn't the place (I may actually pursue some manufacturers for sponsorships but I don't know if I want to or even can go this route)
So how does this relate to the thread?
Despite a lack o money, I've been trying to lay out the plans for the truck and more aptly the engine and research everything I can, taking notes as I go, which has brought me to the conclusion that many of the base concepts in Sven Pruett's book are, I am certain, still valid, but the parts and companies need some serious updating.
Examples?
Camcraft now offers powermax heads (at almost $1200 a pop) which are based on world heads redesign...how would these effect the changes suggested?
There is also an outfit called Clearwater Cylinder Head company which offeres an improved head for the 2.9 at around $190...same question.
Vanir Technologies...good luck finding that one anymore, or R J Max either
not to mention that while Jesel is still certainly around, finding rocker parts from them is unlikely
and the part numbers for I believe Crane Cams (valve springs and retainers) no longer exist, though I think the part number for locks is still valid.
The rocker arm conversion kits listed in the book are available I think through Camcraft now, though they didn't show the chromoly arm ...
As stated, I'm going through the book one step at a time, and trying to update it, but it looks like I am going to have to make a few phone calls (like to Crane) to see if any of the parts are still available under different numbers and to try and get more specific specs on the new heads offered such as the valve sizes on them to begin with (the Camcrafts claim something like a 18% increase in flow...how is this achieved?)
The other thing to all these previous parts, are there perhaps newer materials or alloys or variations which might actually be better?
I believe the valve guides..you still gotta go with manganese bronze, but what about the valves...Manley has another alloy now that may actually be better than those listed in the book...and does Manley make the sizes suggested in the book still? or will they have to be custom ordered..and can someone decipher for the average Joe all the different angles and measurements show on Manley's site.
Next, what about other things we've picked up along the way that aren't in the book...such as this one: I've come to understand there's a walbro pump that drops right in ...
and what about those guys that have done turbos...they did something with flipping the exhaust manifolds to set up their turbos...
Last but not least..what about the rare possibilities for bolt on swap parts...
example: has anyone actually gotten a hold of the dual throttle body from a Scorpio and tried it? (I've been looking for one on Ebay but havent found one yet)

My final word...I think in this day and age with gas prices where they are, the performance V6 is looking better and better to a v8 swap, and since the Ranger may indeed soon be a thing of the past, NOW is the time to get on the ball...to all you guys and gals out there who prefer just to swap out to something bigger? that's great...but please don't question those of us who like the idea of working with the original...it's kind of like a numbers matching 1969 Camaro...(if you can't understand that, then maybe you wouldnt understand this). Maybe the Ranger isn't a camaro, but it's the idea of taking the original to it's limit and maybe even beyond that is appealing to us die hards...
anyone can just drop something else in to get the most amount of power overall, and I respect and appreciate that...but why can't we also appreciate the enginuity to take the 2.9 to it's fullest possible potential...I guess what I am saying here is...let's get support to update these tech pages...all the way around.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'm trying to keep my 98 numbers matching too.

RangerAx

Reaction score
Just happened on this note:
the transmission upgrade on the tech page to swap a T5 onto a 2.9 is no longer viable either ...the update on the page lists part number 50-1802, but now that is no longer a part which comes up in the catalog for AA either...50-1802A does...
as a conversion for the nv3550 (Jeep) to 1350BW t-case...

jnunez86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i saw in kuns korner that pacesetter headers(part# psm-70-1118) dont work on 4x4s. THEY DO WORK just dont bolt up to the stock cat back on some years. also not street legal and need a weld on bung for 02 sensor and band clamps for y pipe to headers.

MSD ignition boxes 6A, 6AL, and 6A OFF ROAD work wonders. along with do it your self MSD wires that last forever and an MSD BLASTER TFI coil (part# 8227) with the easy plug and play wire harness for the coil (part# 8874).

ACCEL makes an ignition box and coil combo (part# 49326) and they have a cap-rotor set (part# 8230)

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
For those really NEW to the ranger a nice picture of the infamious "spout" would be good. for when doing tune ups. those who are well seasoned around the ranger, may not think it necessary.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Need to let people know . . .

Need to let people know that it's not worn cam bearings or air in the lifters
that is causing the infamous ticking.
What is causing the ticking is clogged rocker armshafts that is restricting oil flow, thus causing lifters to wear out and tick because of poor oil circulation.:icon_thumby:

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How about??? How to disconnect and plug up some of the extraneous vaccuum and emissions lines (including the EGR tube) and what the consequences are. This might include info on switching the computer to a later year.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
egr

My understanding is that the egr does not even come into play until you have let off the throttle then it resurculates the exhaust gas. So there is no need to disconnect it. it is not stealing any power.

capridude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the 2.9 sticky thread, it is mentioned that the 2.9 only saw use in the Ranger/B2.

Actually, it was used in the Merkur Scorpio here in the US, and used in several Fords in
Europe as well. It originates from the early 60's German Ford V4 of 1400?cc.

Cheers, Jeff

Christopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 Ranger
Make / Model
63 Mer.Comet
Engine Size
the infamous 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I put a block plate in between my egr and left everything else hooked up. I dont know if the map sensor noticed or not. I just dont like the idea of carbon being recycled after countless hours of port grinding and deburring efforts on my plenum and lower intake.

Killroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd be able to transcribe some sven pruett up on here from his 60 degree ford rebuild book from a long time ago... he's the guy who made the aluminum spacers a popular trick.... he outlines how it's done in the book.

also, I think a cosworth engine swap would be cool, I was researching that years ago, and had a bunch of webpages in my bookmarks on an old computer of mine.... point being, those heads would be sweet in a ranger.

Last edited:

HYPED_87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9m
Transmission
Manual
well i put the 4.6l interceptor throttle body on the 2.9 v6 you have to port where the throttle body bolts to so you can get clearance for the bigger butterfly and drill the holes out on the tb to match the plenum and just cut the v6 gasket to match the 4.6 tb and one last thing is to move the mounting bracket back one bolt hole so you can still use the stock throttle cable and a lil fileing so u can snap the cable on the tb......faster revs and you definiatly notice a very good power increase and it also sounds like a monster when you puch it,it makes a dumb[good] intake sound

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals