• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0/2.3/2.5L Family

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Ended up finding out some things that I was looking for.

Ala a Ford factory 1997 Ranger service manual:

Rocker Arm (Cam follower) ratio - 1.86:1

Lobe Lift: 0.2163 (intake and exhaust)

I got enough stock specs on things that can make people cry, If anyone would like more post up, but a moderate chunk of it is already here, at least the main stuff.

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Great info, a great resource for us gen 1, 2.3L maintainers!

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Might want to add to this: 2.3 carb'd head is missing a bolt hole that a 2.3 EFI head has. Simple fix is to drill and tap it(that's all they did at the factory). It's just one hole, and it's the one that the very front of the lower intake manifold uses to bolt onto the head. This is from my experience putting an 85 carb'd head onto an 87 EFI block.

built 2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you can make a butt load of horse power with the 2.3 i know of some one making like 450 hp to the tire my 2.3 make about 200hp it is bored has a ported turbo head with winsor vavles and sping a turbo cam with a 121 lobe seperation a match ported intake and a one barrel carb and 10.5.1 cr and get 30 mpg. it was built to pull a 20ft boat up north in michigan at 70. i looking to make it better i think iam going turbo or i just might put a big f ing stroke in it and my 450 or 500

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might want to add to this: 2.3 carb'd head is missing a bolt hole that a 2.3 EFI head has. Simple fix is to drill and tap it(that's all they did at the factory). It's just one hole, and it's the one that the very front of the lower intake manifold uses to bolt onto the head. This is from my experience putting an 85 carb'd head onto an 87 EFI block.
actually, its an 84 carb'd head onto an 87 efi block :icon_thumby:

freekracer09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a question really dont know if someone has posted about this cuz im new to the site.... I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5. I was reading this first post about all the motors compared. I really want to do a turbo but dont feel like swapping motors. I know u can stroke the 2.3 to a 2.5. They dont really make aftermarket parts for the 2.5 but could i turbo my 2.5? are the exhaust manifold bolt patterns the same? also could i use 2.3 stroker parts for my 2.5 since the bore is the same?? I want to run 8:1 compression. Any help would be great guys. thanks

graffman2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
have an old motor trying to fix up

i have an 85 ford ranger with the 2.3, with manual trans. im trying to fix it up. i dont know a hole lot about it and i would just like to know what i got to do to give it a lil more. any input would be help full thanx alot.

fearsomeform

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm also new to the forum and to my Ranger. It's a '90 with a 2.3 and I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to turbo it. It's really just for fun and I'm looking for a small one. I just wanted to know if it would be able to handle it.

1st ranger project

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i got a ? can u take a 2.0L head & put it on a 2.5L block?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm also new to the forum and to my Ranger. It's a '90 with a 2.3 and I wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to turbo it. It's really just for fun and I'm looking for a small one. I just wanted to know if it would be able to handle it.
Well, yes and no. It would in its stock form but not for long.
Turbo engines have different internal mechanics. It would be safer and easier to find one out of a mustang or turbo coupe T-bird to rebuild then convert your existing 2.3L to turbo IMHO.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for the Crank bolt for a 1996 2.3 LT engine some how mine fell out and need another one i'm in Moreno Valley Ca 92552 How much for the part and how much for thye shipping

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the specs, it looks like the 2.3 in my 94 could be "stroked up" to a 2.5 by changing the crank and connecting rods providing everything else is still in good condition. Am I correct? Also would you need to change the computer or will it adapt? The engine is still doing fine but I'm just thinking down the road. I've done some engine rebuilds and sort of enjoy tinkering with them. If the block can stand it and there is such a kit available, I've even thought about taking it to a 3.0. But to go from 2.3 to 2.5 would give about a 19 HP gain and several torque FP's. Thanks for the help.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
so i got a ? can u take a 2.0L head & put it on a 2.5L block?
2.0 had small intake ports would be the wrong move. oh and putting a 2.3 head on a 2.0 block doesn't do great either unless you add a turbo maybe I did one 17 yrs ago it spun up great but the cr went down from the bigger comustion chamber on the 2.3 head.

4wdNissan2wdRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994; 1993
Make / Model
Ford; Nissan
Transmission
Manual
I have a spark plug (secondary side) busted off in the head of my '94 Ranger 2wd. I'd like toi just replace the head w/a rebuilt and be done with it (225,000 miles aint exactly young!). Is "Cylinder Heads International" a good place to do this? Will I actually get a '94 head for my '94 engine? I'm afraid that as soon as start removing other things off the head, there be more broken parts! Gotta love the Rust Belt!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals