• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger RABS Diagnostic Connector Location

welder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The male plug at the Master Cylinder has a few issues that causes the RABS light to come on. There is no strain relief to keep the wires from breaking internally behind the plug and the pins or connectors inside the plug can break easily or get pushed back into the plug and not make contact. (Poor design) The best solution if you have any of the above issues is to go to a wrecking yard and look for a good plug. The contacts of the plug should be at the same height and aligned in a neat row. When getting a donor plug and wire, cut the wires off far enough so that you can solder and shrink wrap the donor wires to your existing wiring. Pay attention to the color of the wires as they can differ from year to year. The color of the wires do not matter. Just be sure you make the connections to the correct wires in the harness ( wires on your truck). It is also a good idea to use an ohm meter to check continuity before you buy the donor plug and wire. It is best to have alligator clips attached to your probes so that you can attach a needle or pin to them to gently touch the connectors of the plug. This will fix most issues with the RABS light coming on.
The best way to maintain your brakes is to flush them periodically. Condensation is an issue with brakes and causes most of the problems with the wheel cylinders failing and sometimes the master cylinder along with other electo/mechanical parts. Just add fresh brake fluid and bleed the system as usual until you get the old black fluid purged.
Keep it simple.
Welder

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
94 abs

The 2WD must be different from the 4WD. There is no red connector and I could find no ABS control module under the hood.
As I understand the MC sensor is a switch that monitors the float (in the MC) and is also controlled by the differential in the MC.
If the fluid gets too low, it activates.
If the specific gravity of the brake fluid changes, it activates.
If there is too much differential between the front and rear brakes, it activates.
I think the switch is magnetic or variable reluctance.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Ted R.

10/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Here's a picture of the plug from hell, found behind my parking brake:

Now how in the world do I get it disconnected? That tab is SO tight. I've tried holding it open with a flathead screwdriver, but that doesn't work because then there's so much pressure against the plug from the screwdriver.
And if I ever do manage to get it unpluged, which side am I supposed to put the paperclip in? the side that has the black/orange wire leading to it?

Also, Autozone won't check ABS codes. I called my local store and two other auto parts stores in town and they are only prepared to scan for check engine codes. According to a video from EricTheCarGuy, the paperclip test will work on the ABS connector.

Edit: Got it unplugged. 2 sets of pliers were required. Paperclip trick won't work with this connector type. So it looks like I'll be paying $45 this weekend to have someone hook up their scanner to it. Either that or I cancel my appointment and order my own scanner. Hm..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals