• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pulling a '92 4.0 engine today

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First time really diving in to these. Got the two top rear trans bolts no sweat. About to dive underneath but first:

What is with the connectors on the A/C and fuel hoses? They are the round things with the clips over them right? So you pup the clip off then what?

I pulled the four fan pulley bolts but the fan is still stuck to the water pump. Just bang it till it loosens?

I just pulled the two top nuts on the motor mounts, I believe that is all that is required.

Thanks in advance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the AC and fuel lines require a disconnect tool to disconnect them. Allow about an hour to clear the air before hopping back under after you vent the AC system. That stuff isn't good to breathe.

You have not done anything to remove the fan by removing those 4 bolts, unless you have a 4-cylinder and not a 4-liter. The 4.0 fan screws onto threads at the end of the snout of the water pump. That big nut has to be knocked loose and then it threads off.

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
And yes Only those 2 nuts need to be removed on the motor mounts for removal. The ac line doesn't need to be removed.. Just move the compressor to the side. Removed the radiator to make room. Removing the harmonic balancer doesn't hurt either.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Put a couple of those four fan screws back in, it makes it easier to hold it from turning when you wack the big one loose. IIRC That big one could be reverse thread depending on year.

The Ac and fuel lines disconnects are usually full of dirt. Wd40 and compressed air help clean it out. There is a spring coiled around inside that the tool pushes up and away allowing little metal fingers to release. It can be a pain.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. Glad I didn't bang on the fan any harder than I did. Been underneath for the past hour. Ex manifold studs stuck. Heated one up cherry red, spun a bit then broke. Looks like I'll either have to break the others or cut the Y pipe.

How many trans to block bolts are there, the two at the top, two and the bottom and one on each side? Or are there two more?

At least now I can take the fan off and spin the crank to get the torque converter bolts off.

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So when did Ford decided to double the torque settings on their bolts? Were bolts falling off Fords in the '80s? Geez, I never knew a 3/8" bolt could be torqued to 80ft.lbs.. Oh well, saves money on lock washers.

Anyway it's ready to pull save for those fuel line clamps on the braided hose.

Thanks again for the replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals