• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II dies of lack of fuel with plenty in tank

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Recently my 1985 Bronco II with a stock 2.8 Liter has been acting like I ran it out of gas even though it has gas in the tank. for example the other day I put in around 165 miles worth of gas into the tank and at around 130 it dies. I do believe this truck is apparently to be the year with two fuel pumps one on the block and one on the frame rail but it only has the one on the block. I have been running this truck like this with out problems until recently, what could be my problem?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with the stock fuel systems on the 85 b2. I think there is an in tank low pressure pump. If there is make sure its working. But first change fuel filters. My guess is there would be a small one where the fuel line enters the carb and maybe another on the frame rail under the drivers left foot area.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are you filling the tank and checking fuel mileage, or are you just putting a few gallons in and saying "well it should go this far"?

That is going to be a major factor in how you approach this diagnosis.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the stock fuel systems on the 85 b2. I think there is an in tank low pressure pump. If there is make sure its working. But first change fuel filters. My guess is there would be a small one where the fuel line enters the carb and maybe another on the frame rail under the drivers left foot area.

I have replaced the fuel filter sorry for not saying so before and ever since it started doing this I have started filling it up and setting the trip meter. I will give that a try as im dropping the tank soon to replace the sending unit.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You mention a pump on the frame rail. I bet that is actually a fuel filter. I believe it will be behind a metal bracket.

Also, I found it easier to cut an access panel above the tank and cover the hole with a piece scavenged from a truck box. I have a build thread somewhere on a b2 I owned with pics of the access panel. If you can't find it ,pm me and I'll find it for you.

Last edited:

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The pump on the block is the only one you have, the fuel filter at the carburetor is the only one you have.

It's possible the pick up tube on your sending unit is broken, leaking, or rusted off.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
The pump on the block is the only one you have, the fuel filter at the carburetor is the only one you have.

It's possible the pick up tube on your sending unit is broken, leaking, or rusted off.
Thats what I was thinking it might be and I hope it is because I have to replace the sending unit any way. Next week I will drop my tank and pull it to see since I wont get to use a nice warm shop until then.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The following pics are pretty much explain themselves. They are of a b2 I bought with a 4.0 transplant. I was told the pump came from a mustang. I no longer own this. I felt this was easier than dropping the tank to fix the pump.
edit; it should be noted that I never had rug back there to begin with. I don't know how difficult r+r the rug would be.

Last edited:

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That looks really smart, floored. As in, it looks good. lol

chayse brooks

Reaction score
The following pics are pretty much explain themselves. They are of a b2 I bought with a 4.0 transplant. I was told the pump came from a mustang. I no longer own this. I felt this was easier than dropping the tank to fix the pump.
edit; it should be noted that I never had rug back there to begin with. I don't know how difficult r+r the rug would be.

that looks a lot easier than dealing with a bunch of rusty hardware but how did you get it to stay in place when you put it back? did you just weld it or was there another way of doing it?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I never did get around to finalizing it. My plan was to use a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter of the bottom and let it dry before screwing down the top plate. Letting it dry would make it easier to remove if necesary. FYI silicone caulk will NOT stick to itself once cured, probably why so many silicone caulking jobs leak.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
thanks for the help everyone. I got my problem solved, turned out the pick up tube had rusted and wasn't picking up fuel. this probably happened when the last owner let it sit in the weather and with a good tank of gas in it.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Glad it worked out. I replaced the sending unit in my '85 Ranger last spring, and had an accurate gage for the first time since 1996. I was so proud I drove my truck into work (it's not my primary vehicle). I went to lunch, started up my truck, watched the gage go to F, then slowly drop back down to E. Someone had swapped a cracked float onto the sending unit and returned the item. I didn't think to check the new part. I hope to never have to drop the tank again--twice in a month was enough.

UAFS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
checking new parts

That´s something I should try to remember. It´s hard since I´m always excited after buying something... (or during).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals